Highlighted
RainbowShaggy
1 Copper

R710 RAID and new drives

Hello everyone,

I have a few questions about hard drives and RAID in PowerEdge R710. I bought this server for christmas and now I'm trying to understand how RAID actually works and which drives I should buy so.

My first question is that I'm looking for some WD Gold, Enterprise or Red storage and I'd like to know if I can use these hard drives or It would be better to buy some original Dell drives. My server have PERC 6/i RAID controller.

Second question are about RAID. If I use RAID1, is possible upgrade to RAID5 without any data loss? And how it works if I decide to buy larger hard drives and then upgrade them without any data loss?

System in server will be ESXi 6.5. Thank you very much for answers.

Patrick

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

Re: R710 RAID and new drives

Hi,

Those drives may work but we have only validated our own drives. If you create a raid one you can reconfigure it to a raid 5. There is not a validated method of increasing the size of individual drives on the PERC6/i. It would be best to create the array the way you want to start with. Here is some additional information. http://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_ser_stor_net/esuprt_dell_adapters/poweredge-rc...

http://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/dell-openmanage-server-administrator-8.5_user's%20guide4_en-us.pdf

Thanks,
Josh Craig
Dell EMC Enterprise Support Services
Get support on Twitter @DellCaresPRO
0 Kudos
RainbowShaggy
1 Copper

Hello,

thank you for your reply and links. Could I ask you what is the difference between validated and non-validated drives? Is it only, because validated disks will 100% work and support or there are some other differences with functionality.

Thanks

0 Kudos

Validated drives are running approved firmware which is possibly modified to improve compatibility with our controllers.

Thanks,
Josh Craig
Dell EMC Enterprise Support Services
Get support on Twitter @DellCaresPRO
0 Kudos