Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 11th, 2016 13:00

R710 hangs with idrac console unresponsive

My company has 4 Dell R710's all running RHEL 5.5 and Oracle 11gR2. In the last 2 weeks we have had 2 of the servers hang with NO indication from RH or Oracle that their was any kind of kernel panic or errors from Oracle. The server just stops responding and when I check the IDRAC console it's just a black screen and doesn't respond to keystrokes. There are no hardware alerts on the IDRAC either. This has also happened several more times in the last 18 months and there's no pattern or commonality to the time we see the servers hang.

We are forced to reboot the server when this happens and it comes back up ok, but there's nothing in /var/log/messages at the time it became unresponsive. Oracle alert logs don't show anything either that would explain why the server became unresponsive.

Has anyone else ever experience this kind of behavior? Especially while running the same hardware, OS, and database versions.

• 

8.5K Posts

April 11th, 2016 15:00

Hi,

Since there are no errors to help determine what the issue is, it may be difficult. Are the two servers clustered or are they separate? It may be worth updating the system firmware. http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=V40R2

2 Posts

April 12th, 2016 08:00

The 4 servers are in an Oracle RAC cluster. I'm planning to upgrade the firmware.

No Events found!