Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

11 Posts

June 17th, 2019 05:00

R710 memory upgrade issues

Hello,

I want to add some additional memory to my R710 server and I want to be sure I understand exactly what my options are.

My current config is:

DIMM_A1  empty
DIMM_A4  empty
DIMM_A7  empty

DIMM_A2  2GB
DIMM_A5  2GB
DIMM_A8  4GB

DIMM_A3  2GB
DIMM_A6  2GB
DIMM_A9  4GB

B-side is the same.

If I understand correctly, I need each channel to be the same size?  So to build out properly, I could for example buy 3-8GB and 1-4GB (for each side) and do something like this:

DIMM_A1  8GB
DIMM_A4  2GB
DIMM_A7  4GB

DIMM_A2  8GB
DIMM_A5  2GB
DIMM_A8  4GB

DIMM_A3  8GB
DIMM_A6  2GB
DIMM_A9  4GB

Does this sound correct?

Thanks for the help.

Bryan Hunt

2.9K Posts

June 17th, 2019 08:00

It looks like it would work, though that specific configuration hasn't been validated. I wouldn't expect memory ranks to be an issue at those capacities, but if you do have quad rank DIMMs, there is a limit of two per channel. I've really only seen those on 32GB and higher DIMMs, maybe some old 16GB DIMMs. Single rank and dual rank DIMMs do not have an order requirement, just quads.

You'll also want to check if you have Nehalem or Westmere processors. I say that because it doesn't appear that Nehalem supports 1.35V DIMMs, based on the chart I have in front of me. 

More detailed information is available in the hardware manual, but the general guidance would be to make sure to balance the channels and to install the memory in descending rank order. You'll also want to take care to not mix UDIMMs, RDIMMs, and LR-DIMMs.

Owner's Manual (Memory on page 129): https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_ser_stor_net/esuprt_poweredge/poweredge-r710_owner%27s%20manual_en-us.pdf

No Events found!