Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 8th, 2014 03:00

R720 , Bios update failed, Rollback is scheduled and not running

Hi

I have a Dell r720 with dual cpu configuration. Some days ago I tried to update the bios from 1.6.0 to 2.2.3, From a USB, When it restarted it failed booting with this error, after configuring memory screen,

fatal error! cpu in socket 2 did not come out of reset
It doesn't boot
The bigger problem is:
I tried to rollback the bios from idrac but it schedules the jobs , it's state is running at next boot, when I try to manually boot it, nothing happens and nothing happened in these three days!
The job's schedule state is :Scheduled , yet!
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 

6.2K Posts

June 8th, 2014 12:00

Hello

You can't rollback if it is not completing POST. It uses the LifeCycle Controller to perform updates and rollbacks. The LCC loads after the system completes POST.

Reset NVRAM via jumper on the system board. You should disconnect the power cords when moving the jumper. Leave the cords disconnected for at least 1 minute when you are doing this to also drain flea power.

If that doesn't resolve the issue then remove CPU 2 and test. If the issue persists then disconnect all unnecessary components(Minimum to POST) and test.

If clearing NVRAM, draining flea power, and going minimum to POST does not allow the system to complete POST then the system board will need to be replaced.

Thanks

3 Posts

June 9th, 2014 10:00

Hi Daniel,

Thank you very much for your help, I detached second CPU , the system booted normally , and The job says it's completed, the BIOS is 2.2.3 and I rebooted two or three times, No problem, but after attaching the second CPU , again it displays , the same error.

Should I restore 1.6.0 BIOS?

Thanks again
Regards

• 

6.2K Posts

June 10th, 2014 07:00

Should I restore 1.6.0 BIOS?

I would suggest testing the second CPU in slot 1. Try to find out if you have a CPU or CPU slot failure. This may be a hardware issue that just happened to occur during a BIOS update. I doubt this is a BIOS issue, but after swapping the CPUs to test then it would be good to test the system with the 1.6 BIOS just to be sure.

3 Posts

June 19th, 2014 09:00

Hi

I tested the cpu2 in slot 1 and it works, Rolled back to 1.6.0 ,Restarted three times, Installed the cpu in socket 2 , In the first page , it display Configuring memory.... done and nothing happens after that.

Tried to swap the CPUs , Two CPUs are detected and booted!!! Why it works??

How may I update my BIOS safely now to ensure it won't happen again?

Regards

• 

6.2K Posts

June 22nd, 2014 11:00

Tried to swap the CPUs , Two CPUs are detected and booted!!! Why it works??

Did you ever clear the NVRAM via jumper and drain flea power? That is the first step I suggested. When you update the system BIOS it can make dramatic changes to the system. Sometimes there is data that remains in memory that can cause issues with the new BIOS. It sounds like you cleared NVRAM the hard way.

How may I update my BIOS safely now to ensure it won't happen again?

Just update the BIOS. There is no guaranteed method that will make it work. There is always a chance when performing a BIOS or firmware update that it will fail and cause the component to become non-functional.

1 Message

November 12th, 2017 04:00

Hi friend,

I'm having the same problem on the R720 server. "fatal error cpu in socket 2 did not come out of reset" message and it stays there. Did you find a solution to your problem? I would be glad if you share information.
Thank you so much.

No Events found!