Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 22nd, 2016 19:00

R720 Stuck after CPLD

I have a Dell R720, that I have taken down to minimal specs and it's not allowing me boot into bios or anything else. The keyboard works up until the post is done, and once I try to hit F2 or anything else the num lock goes off and the server no longer accepts keystrokes. I can hold the power button down, shut if off and back on, only to get the same result. I have tried different keyboards, different USB ports, monitor plugged into the front and back and not plugged in at all and always the same result. 

I have seen one or two other post about this issue, and have yet to resolve it. Is there a way I can use the console port on the back to see what the server is doing and where/why it's locking up? Also an odd part is that the cursor keeps flashing at the bottom once it has stopped accepting keyboard strokes. 

I know the bios is out of date, but I have no way of updating it now as the machine won't get past POST. Does anyone have any idea what would cause it to hang like this? Is there a fix for it? I'd rather not have to buy a new system board. 

Any thoughts or things I could try I should be able to accomplish and test. Thanks in advance!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 23rd, 2016 08:00

Hello.

During minimum to POST configuration, ensure that all USB devices including mouse and keyboard are disconnected. If this does not resolve the matter, try setting the system BIOS to default by clearing the NVRAM.   Move the jumper located between the power supplies and Memory DIMMs to NVRAM_CLR and apply power. Shutdown the server and restore the jumpers to original location and try again.

3 Posts

June 23rd, 2016 20:00

I'll have to get a network daughter card, since it stop and ask to press F1 to continue or F2 to run setup. Once I get one, I'll try the suggestion with no USB.

Can I have USB plugged in up until the splash screen to tell it to go into BIOS or LCC?

Thanks

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 24th, 2016 08:00

Under minimum to POST conditions, it ain't recommended but you can try and see whether you can enter the LCC afterwards. It may work out.

3 Posts

June 24th, 2016 20:00

So I tried both ways, letting it try to boot or move on after post with no usb devices plugged in anywhere and it just hangs, also tried with pressing F2 at the splash screen to go to BIOS and it just sits there at the same point as before.

I'm going to try and upload a pic of when it's freezing, but I'm sure you know where it is I'm talking about.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 28th, 2016 08:00

Try clearing the system NVRAM to reset the BIOS to default. Power down the server and move the jumper to NVRAM_CLR position and power the server on. Turn off the server and move the jumper to original position and try minimum to POST conditions again. If the server does not successfully POST, then consider replacing the system board

No Events found!