Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 6th, 2018 13:00

R720XD iDRAC Thermal Settings not saving

I have 3 identical R720XD servers, but on one no matter what I do the Thermal settings always revert back to Fan Offset with High Offset after rebooting, causing the fans to spin at 100% all the time. I have tried hard resetting iDRAC including holding the power button for 30 seconds with the server unplugged, I have tried every possible combination of Thermal settings, I have tried multiple iDRAC firmware revisions. I would like some assistance in determining what is wrong with the server. 

March 8th, 2018 11:00

Repurpose or retire from the LLC didn't reset the BIOS or iDRAC even though I selected for it to reset them, I even drained flea power once it powered off. When I booted back up all of the BIOS and iDRAC settings where just as they were previously. I accessed the BIOS from the LLC and from within the BIOS settings I chose to reset to defaults and then did the same for iDRAC, once it rebooted it came back up with all settings back to defaults. I then changed the BIOS settings and rebooted, my new settings persisted after a reboot, did the same thing with iDRAC and again settings persisted after reboot, finally rebooted to the OS and all was well.

TL;DR: Reporpose/retire from LLC did nothing, loaded LLC, reset BIOS and iDRAC to defaults, rebooted, changed BIOS as needed, rebooted, changed iDRAC as needed, rebooted and everything was fixed.

311 Posts

March 6th, 2018 15:00

Hi,

Make sure that the BIOS is up to date as well as the iDRAC firmware. They work together with the thermal settings.

Please send a private message with your service tag to ensure we have all appropriate information on your system.

Thank you,

March 6th, 2018 17:00

All firmware and BIOS updates have been applied, everything is current on the system.

311 Posts

March 7th, 2018 13:00

Hi,

Try to Repurpose or retire system and select only the BIOS and LCC. This will reset nvcache. More information can be found on page 68

https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/idrac7-8-lifecycle-controller-2.40.40.40_User's%20Guide2_en-us.pdf

If you continue to have problems, run a racresetcfg command and then drain flea power again. This will wipe the iDRAC configuration and require that iDRAC be set back up.

If you continue having the same issue, please provide a TSR from the troubled system and 1 of the systems that is not having a problem.

Thank you,

No Events found!