Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 10th, 2019 08:00

R730 Remaining Rated Write Endurance 4%

Hi,

we have the following problem.

In a RAID1 array with 2 400-AEIB SSD disks, both disks showing "Remaining Rated Write Endurance 4%".

We have already bought 2 new disks for replacement, but we don't know which procedure is to follow.

Should we wait until the first disk fails and then replace it?

Should we remove one of the disks, install one of the new disks and the rebuild starts automaticall?

Or is there any other procedure?

Thanks in advance for any tips

• 

6.2K Posts

July 10th, 2019 10:00

Hello

I would recommend making sure the firmware on the drive and controller are at the latest revision. You should also make sure you are using the latest version of the application used to monitor endurance. Updates may change how endurance is calculated or reported. It may also fix issues of incorrect reporting.

If both drives are at the same percentage then I would replace them now. If the endurance is accurate then once the drives reach 0% they will become read only. If you wait until that happens then whatever data is being written at that time may be corrupted.

I would replace one drive and then the other. If the storage controller and RAID level support a consistency check then I would run a consistency check before replacing any drives. A consistency check will verify virtual disk information and attempt to correct any faults that are found.

http://www.dell.com/storagecontrollermanuals/

https://www.dell.com/support/article/sln156240/

Thanks

2 Posts

July 11th, 2019 06:00

Hello Daniel,

the disks had been replaced sequentially and it worked.

Thanks!

1 Message

February 12th, 2020 01:00

Did you have any issues with the Remaining Rated Write Endurance value not updating after replacing the drives?

We replaced 2 drives that were at 3% and OpenManage is still reporting this.

13 Posts

February 12th, 2020 11:00

You may just need to turn off the machine for a bit, unplug, drain power off board, let it sit for a bit, plug it in and let it sit for a few minutes then turn it on and let it boot all the way into your OS and then recheck.  Make sure you are up to date on both PERC and Lifecycle controller drivers when applicable and then firmware as well as Openmanage so that they report correctly. 

Old IDRAC versions before 7 don't have information on drive health of this sort so you can't depend on old IDRACs for predictive failure sorts of alerts.  If you are within warrantee and have support, you can install OMSA, configured for Dell to get warnings and then alert you by text or Email.  Supposedly, it can be set to alert you without the Dell intermediary but I've never gotten it to work.  I try to keep my production servers under Dell support contract and then retire the server.  Five years seems to be the maximum server life in my cost/risk/perfomrance calculation.

No Events found!