Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 1st, 2019 02:00

R810 problem with embedded graphics after BIOS update

Hi All,

After updating R810 BIOS to 2.11 I face strange problem with embedded graphics on several servers. 

After cold boot it does show "Dell" screen while configuring memory, after that it goes dark.

server itself works fine I have access through idrac, no errors reported, built in diag software shows no problem, all memory/cpu tests pass  

I tried to reflash bios / reset idrac and bios / turn it off (unplug all cables + hold power for 30 sec), changing VGA cables and monitors  but nothing seems to help. Out for 3 servers I updated 2 had issues. embedded graphics worked fine before update. I also notice that sometimes the first boot flash screen is clipped, it almost looks like the incorrect (unsupported ?)  video mode is selected.

Anything else I could try ?

18 Posts

March 20th, 2019 00:00

Pilot error.

There's a checkbox in the Virtual console configuration of idrac interface that turns on/off video output on the physical connection. Idrac settings are preserved through bios reset.

2.9K Posts

February 1st, 2019 08:00

I'll grab a lab system and see if the behavior replicates on it. In the mean time, do you know if the issue occurs using video output through both the monitor connector and the iDRAC virtual console?

2.9K Posts

February 1st, 2019 12:00

I was only able to view remote systems, and I saw the same behavior, that virtual console video appeared fine. If you roll the BIOS back to the previous revision, does the behavior stop? 

18 Posts

February 1st, 2019 12:00

Thanks for prompt reply Issue is specific to physical connectors only (both on front and back side) Idrac console and virtual media work fine.

18 Posts

February 1st, 2019 14:00

I don't really want to roll it back. One of the reasons I did update is to be able to plug E7-88xx cpus. older bios doesn't support them.

2.9K Posts

February 1st, 2019 15:00

The idea is to identify if there is a potential BIOS bug to be addressed. If you can down rev it, to check, bringing it back up would be fine. This would help to define the next action we need to take in getting the video fixed.

18 Posts

February 1st, 2019 17:00

well the version I'm updating from is not even on the website anymore. it's running 2.2.3, if you can provide a link to download I'll give it a try

18 Posts

February 1st, 2019 17:00

I tried to downgrade to 2.5.0 and dos bios utility doesn't allow me to do that

"The Bios version doesn't support current hardware configuration. Flash update aborted".

So I guess no reason to try even earlier version (2.0.x) that I'm updating from.

2.9K Posts

February 4th, 2019 07:00

I'll see if I can locate anyone to test an R810 locally, since I can only get virtual console video. As for any other troubleshooting steps, you might try a power drain of the system, or an NVRAM clear, using the NVRAM jumper on the motherboard. The NVRAM step resets the BIOS back to factory default settings though, so keep that in mind if you changed the boot mode or anything.

18 Posts

February 4th, 2019 10:00

Thanks, your help is much appreciated. With this issue I can't be sure that bios and all other updates are  applied properly or if there's any other issues that needs to be addressed before I can reuse these servers for my project.

On my side I double checked guide and found that cpld was not updated as part of all-firmware update through USC. So I updated cpld manually. It does fix the issue with "clipping" I.E on the first cold boot (after removing power cables), I'm getting a proper picture on physical port (dell flash screen / configuring memory message), so I know that port/graphics chip is working properly. But after that it goes dark and stays dark.

I'll try to reset nvram / bios later this week.

18 Posts

February 8th, 2019 22:00

I did try to reset nvram and bios, it did not help. I reapply all updates (bios, cpld) and noticed a bit confusing message from CPLD update utility. Latest (and only) version available from Dell website is 1.5.0. 

But it looks like it recognize itself as 1.0.3 ? With that said, after applying update current CPLD version goes to 1.5.0 

IMG_6085.jpg

18 Posts

February 23rd, 2019 00:00

Any update ?

18 Posts

March 16th, 2019 21:00

Can I expect any updates on this this thread ?

There are 2 questions pending:

1) CPLD version reported by flash program doesn't match advertised one (see screenshoot), is it expected or am I misreading it ? or incorrect version is uploaded  ?  

2) any other suggestions wrt  to video output ? to recap: idrac/virtual console works, so I know the chip on board is good.   after cold boot (power cords disconnected) I can see dell logo on screen before it goes blank so physical connector is ok.

No Events found!