Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

April 12th, 2014 16:00

R910 backplane x4 to x16?

Hi I have a R910 with the x4 SAS backplane - Just wondering if it's possible to order the x16 backplane and put it in myself.

• 

6.2K Posts

April 12th, 2014 18:00

Hello

Changing backplanes after point of sale is not supported. Because it is not supported there is no process or documentation for doing it.

From what I can see you should be able to simply remove the filler bays and swap the two backplanes. Both configurations appear to use all of the same parts aside from the backplane itself. I don't see a reason why you wouldn't be able to do it, but it is possible you may run into issues.

Thanks

7 Posts

April 13th, 2014 18:00

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply. It looks like there is some info in the manual on how to replace one. 

My next question is do I need to get the the internal SAS connectors for the backplane or should they be there already?

• 

6.2K Posts

April 16th, 2014 10:00

SAS connectors for the backplane or should they be there already?

The connectors are built into the backplane. You will need to get a second SAS cable. The x4 backplane only has a single connector and the x16 has 2, so you probably don't have two cables.

3 Posts

March 16th, 2015 16:00

well, i bought  x16 backplane and got all setup. This happens only after configuring raid set. and after some time the data transfer going.  I will loose the whole logical volume. 

3 Posts

March 16th, 2015 16:00

i bought 2 r910 with 4 bays, i have been running to drive fault errors after some time of working with the raid set. Can you suggest what is wrong?

Got perc700  , connected both SAS cables from the controller. populated 12 drives on both Side A and B.

No Events found!