Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 20th, 2018 05:00

RDIMM compatibility for PowerEdge R710

Hello all,

we own some PowerEdge R710 machines and we acqually need to increase the ram on some of them: I read on the user guide that I can use 2, 4 and 8Gb RDIMM modules and in this way I should be limited to 144Gb but in one web page about the R710 I saw that memory can be upgraded up to 288Gb, so I don't know which is the real limit.

Can someone tell me what is the exact amount of ram that I can install, using which modules (even 16Gb ones?) and the allowed memory speed (as per the user guide seems limited to 1067/1333Mhz, depending on the number of modules per channel, but the site shows RDIMM spare parts even at 1600Mhz)?

Many thanks in advance.

Best regards

Angelo

40 Posts

July 20th, 2018 05:00

Hi Angelo

The Maximum memory an R710 supports is 288GB (16 x 16GB Modules)

These Modules have to be dual rank, quad ranked memory does not allow you to fully populate all slots.

Another thing that can affect the amount of memory your system can support is the CPU's, for example an X5660 supports upto 288GB of ram but an E5520 can only support 144GB of ram.

Looking at the intel ark website will tell you what the max memory size your cpu's can support.

With the 1600Mhz memory is can be used and will drop down in speed to the maximum supported speed.

Hope this helps

Dave

2 Posts

July 20th, 2018 06:00

Hi Dave,

first of all thank you very much for your prompt reply!

Installed CPUs are E5520, so the maximum memory amount is indeed 144Gb, but at least now I know that we can use even 16Gb modules (no problem if the speed will be lowered from 1600Mhz, the focal point is that those modules can be installed) so now I have a better idea about the modules we need to buy.

Thank you very much again!!!

Bests regards

Angelo

No Events found!