Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 18th, 2016 09:00

Replace DIMM on Perc 6/i controller?

I have a T410 poweredge server with a PERC 6/i adapter.  I just replaced the Perc battery and noticed in Open Management Console that error 2320 is showing (once).  Prior to it, error 2319 showed twice.  Error 2320 reads:

"Single-bit ECC error. The controller DIMM is critically degraded.: Controller 0 (PERC 6/i Adapter)"

The recommended action is to replace the PERC DIMM....I looked in the hardware guide and searched online, I do not even see a DIMM on this controller...the PERC 6/e looks like it has a DIMM but not the 6/i.  I popped open another T410 we have that has the same PERC adapter, and there is no DIMM that I can see on the PERC card.  Also, there are no warnings showing in OMC, just the error recorded... can someone point me to where I would find this DIMM to replace?  A tutorial or replacement guide would be great...the hardware guide doesn't even mention PERC dimm's for this controller.  Is there really an imminent data corruption threat from this?  From what I've read single ECC errors usually correct themselves and are not that big of a deal. 

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

April 18th, 2016 11:00

Not all cards have a removable DIMM. Obviously the ones with the integrated chips will need the entire card replaced:

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

April 18th, 2016 12:00

Yes. If you switch it, the new card should recognize the disks/arrays, but it will mark the new drives as "foreign" ... you will need to IMPORT the foreign configuration.

31 Posts

April 18th, 2016 12:00

Below is a pic of my PERC 6/i...I'm assuming the box I made in red is the DIMM IC, meaning I need to replace the whole card, correct? 

I do have another identical card with the same Firmware and driver version that I can pop in...will the drives recognize the new card and boot as normal, or is there any configuration I need to do to get it up and running?  I've never replaced a PERC card before and I need to minimize downtime on the server.  The replacement card is in another server that has a different RAID config and fewer drives, so I want to avoid any problems beforehand.

31 Posts

April 18th, 2016 13:00

Thank you...to minimize my chances of messing up...is this what I do...

go to the controller BIOS (Ctrl-R) and from the VD Mgmt screen highlight the Controller and then hit F2. Foreign Config should be listed there. Select that and then you will see  IMPORT or CLEAR. Select IMPORT and confirm.

That will clear the Foreign Config and place the drive in ready.

I have 2 VD, do I need to do this with both of them or will IMPORT do both at once?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

April 18th, 2016 13:00

No, it will detect all configurations and will only give you the change to IMPORT or CLEAR the entire set of configurations. You should only need to IMPORT.

31 Posts

April 19th, 2016 15:00

A couple of follow up questions...if I were to throw the 2nd PERC 6i into this server, would I be able to use the PERC 6i with the failed DIMM short term in the other server...I know this is not a good idea but would it work short term?  Also, if I were to get a replacement PERC, if the Firmware/Drivers are a different version (not sure before installing how I'd be able to tell), would that present any problems...and what would I need to do to get the controller card to recognize the virtual disks?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

April 19th, 2016 16:00

You'd need to put it in a "regular" PCI slot, but yes (probably).

31 Posts

April 21st, 2016 15:00

Thank you so much for all your help...just one more question...I have a "new" PERC 6/i card (same model) that I ordered.  If I install this in the server, and the firmware/driver is a different version than the present card, what will happen?  The drivers should be on the hard drive(s), but the firmware, that would be with the card itself, so there's no way of knowing prior to install what version is on there.  I'm sorry for asking so many questions

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

April 21st, 2016 19:00

You would have to check with the supplier OR boot it up with another system to find out the firmware level. Chance are it will be fine either way, but the chance is there when the firmware is different and grows as the distance between versions grows.

31 Posts

April 22nd, 2016 08:00

Cards have been replaced and everything is up and running smoothly.  Pretty simple and straightforward.  Thanks again

No Events found!