Highlighted
polezhaevdmi
1 Nickel

S130 sw-RAID controller limitations

Sorry for the disturbance, could You summarize the S130 controller (PE T130 server and so on) limitations? Let me start:

Maximum number of physical devices per controller: 8

Maximum physical device size: 2 TB

Maximum number of physical devices per virtual drive: 4 ???

Maximum number of virtual drives per controller: 1 ???

Maximum virtual device size: 2 TB ???

OS supported: Windows

Am I right with the written characteristics?

Thank You!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
theflash1932
5 Iridium

RE: S130 sw-RAID controller limitations

Yes, but more importantly, it cannot resize arrays, nor is there a log available to review issues when they happen. They also do not have many recovery options and don't have the native support of many bare-metal backup softwares.

0 Kudos
polezhaevdmi
1 Nickel

theflash1932, great thanks for Your answer!

However, are You sure about "Maximum number of virtual drives per controller = 1"? May it be equal 2 or more?

0 Kudos
theflash1932
5 Iridium

http://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/poweredge-rc-s130_User's%20Guide_en-us.pdf

You should not be using the S130. Consider the H730 instead.

pcmeiners
4 Tellurium

"Yes, but more importantly, it cannot resize arrays, nor is there a log available to review issues when they happen. They also do not have many recovery options and don't have the native support of many bare-metal backup softwares."

Hum.... You have such a way with words...... so basically the s130 should NOT be called a raid in any sense of the word. <grin>

0 Kudos
polezhaevdmi
1 Nickel

Theflash1932, great thanks for forcing me to read the manual again! I found an answer in the 'Troubleshooting' section. Maximum number of virtual drives per controller = 8.

As for H730 - I wrote my doubts here:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/servers/f/956/t/20014572

0 Kudos
polezhaevdmi
1 Nickel

Try to prove that to those, who diffuses RAID-for-Hobo into the actual chips. And to Intel, which started to spread the technology widely. I'm suspecting as a result we will obtain the sequel to the Marquis de Sade memuares.

0 Kudos