Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 10th, 2013 07:00

SAS HDDs and one SATA PE2950

Hi, I've got PE2950 and Perc 5/i. 2 SAS 73 GB 15K HDDs in one array and 3 SAS 300GB 10K in second array. I decided to use one emty slot and bought 2TB SATA HDD. But I can't configure it in perc tool and system doesn't see it without configuration. In perc tool I can see SATA HDD but I can't configure it because OK button is black and I can't continue. I am probably doing something wrong. How could I configure it?  

• 

6.2K Posts

February 10th, 2013 08:00

Hello matousrokos

The PERC is not capable of non-RAID. The drive will need to be in a RAID array before it can be used. The only valid configuration would be a single drive RAID 0. Go through the normal steps of creating a RAID array. Create a single drive RAID 0 with the SATA drive.

Thanks

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

February 10th, 2013 09:00

If what you are saying is that you can't actually configure the drive in CTRL-R (as a RAID 0) because OK is grayed out, it may be the disk you are using.  Are you using a Dell-certified drive?  An enterprise-class drive?  Or a cheap/consumer-class drive?  Which model drive are you using?  Is the drive showing as 'foreign' on the PD MGMT screen?

February 12th, 2013 00:00

My drive is Western Digital Red 2000GB 64MB and is not showing as foreign

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

February 12th, 2013 08:00

The Reds are designed for NAS boxes and for PC's, not servers.  Desktop/consumer-class drives can experience a number of issues, ranging from benign to severe, on an enterprise-class RAID controller.

February 16th, 2013 06:00

In perc config is no unknown device no errors on this disk. I can setup it and raid 0 is automatically preconfigured but I can't press ok

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

February 16th, 2013 08:00

I wish I knew what to tell you ... if you had a certified disk, you could eliminate the possibility of either a controller issue or an issue with the drive's compatibility (which would be my assumption at this point).

No Events found!