Start a Conversation

Unsolved

P

6 Posts

July 24th, 2018 22:00

Second CPU PowerEdge R420

Hi all,

The story is, we want to upgrade our Dell PowerEdge R420 server with a second processor, we bought a second processor like the first one Intel Xeon E5-2440 0 @2.4 Ghz, 6 core everything is the same only the Family Model Stepping is a little different the old one has 06-2D-7 and the new one has 06-2D-6. When i inserted the second processor there is no error just the system booting for 20 hours it's say memory configuring done and then it stuck here (I also tried out when i change them insert the new one to the old place and the old to the second CPU  place then the system even do not start power off automatic after 2 second ). All the processors works fine when i only insert one  of them. I changed the riser card for the second processor and replaced the dummy fan to a real one. Any one has an idea what can be the problem? 

Thanks, for the help.

• 

8.4K Posts

July 25th, 2018 08:00

Peter8384,

The issue you're running into appears to be the difference in the processors, when you install 2 processors they need to match. The stepping differences is likely what is causing the issue, and the processor itself may not be compatible due to that. Which is why it works alone, but not paired, and fails to POST when in CPU 1 with other processor. You can try updating the system to current on BIOS and iDrac to see if that helps, but likely it will be resolved by replacing the newer proc with a matching one.

6 Posts

July 26th, 2018 07:00

Thanks, for the answer. And what is this searchable property what sellers say so i can search for it and buy exactly the same because the stepping information is not readable in any seller. Maybe the Part Number is unique and if i buy with the same part number then it's work ? 

101 Posts

July 26th, 2018 09:00

Peter,

The E5-2440 should have a code printed on it similar to "SR0LK" This is the sSpec or "stepping code", so as long as the code is the same on both processors, you should be fine.

The E5-2440 is a Sandy Bridge-EN CPU and I only see an sSpec code of SR0LK for it. However, the E5-2440V2 is a different (8-core 1.9 GHz) CPU that shows an sSpec of SR19T. This chip is a Ivy Bridge-EN based CPU and while it fits in the same socket, it is not compatible with the earlier E5-2440.

Verify the sSpec code on the CPU you wish to pair with and search for that.

Randy

6 Posts

July 26th, 2018 10:00

I see that both is SR0LK but still, when i check in the bios one family model stepping is 06-2D-6 the other is 06-2D-7, ,thanks for the answer.

101 Posts

July 26th, 2018 11:00

Have you checked each one separately? (One at a time)

This would verify functionality and compatibility with your server.

Randy

6 Posts

July 28th, 2018 00:00

Yes, I checked them before. Separately they work.In the Bios only the Family Model Stepping is the difference all others is the same this is why i ask that where can i check it (By vendors), because it's only visible in Bios or i don't know where else can i check it. 

Update:

CPU.PNG

All two processor is this: Now if i insert the second, it even don't start. Power on for 1 second and after one second power off automatic. I tested with one memory slot A1, B1 with same ram. And with the changed Riser Card.  The Riser Card is in the Riser 1 slot, the card is PCIE_G3_X16 (CPU 2). Anyone can help ? What can be wrong? 

No Events found!