Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

E

October 3rd, 2012 03:00

Server upgrade with Lifecycle controller

Hello All,

I wanted to upgrade our Poweredge 710 G11 server with the Lifecycle controller using the Internet. The platform update worked until the step it get the window showing all the updates available.

If I select everything to update I get a message "please wait" for forever. I waited several hours and left on the server overnight. But the message was still there. So I rebooted the server to platform update again. This time I selected only the Bios to update. It does download, showing a installation progress screen quickly and reboot the server.Server returns to Lifecycle controller but I get quickly a message "wrong return code". I tried it the same procedure again but this time with Lifecycle controller update only instead of Bios. The server download and reboots and returns back to Lifecycle controller, but no dialog that the upgrade was successful is shown and the version number doesn't change too.

Could you please tell me what is going wrong here? The server seems to have Internet connectivity since the upgrade page is shown. I was thinking to upgrade with USB, but here I'm not sure what to download. The server is a ESX host and I want to upgrade firmwares before I do upgrade the ESX to 5.0

Thanks,

Edy

• 

8.4K Posts

October 3rd, 2012 06:00

Edyxx,

There are a couple things we can do.

First thing would be to try running the USC Repair Tool and USC update to see if we can resolve that.

Next would be to use Repository Mgr and create the update repository to us in USC.

Or we can also download BUU (Build and Update Utility) and the SUU (Server Update Utility) and boot to that and circumvent the USC all together.

USC Repair - www.dell.com/.../poweredge-r710

Let me know how it goes.

11 Posts

October 5th, 2012 03:00

Thanks for your answer. I downloaded the USC file, but when I double-click it,  Windows doesn't recognize it. I thought it is a zip file but Winrar cannot read it- Please advise.

However I'm on holiday now and cannot respond for one week.

Thanks,

Edy

No Events found!