Peach8
1 Copper

Suppress amber light

We have PowerEdge 1950, R610, R620 servers. Whenever OpenManage reports an error, the error goes on the front panel LCD and the LCD lights up amber. Is there a way to make it NOT light up amber or change color at all? I'd like the error still displayed on the front panel, but don't want it to light up amber. Is there a way maybe remotely via omconfig to disable the amber light when error occurs? 

Thank you.

0 Kudos
5 Replies

Re: Suppress amber light

Hello

Those options do not appear to be available. If you disable LCD messaging it should stop the LCD from displaying all messages.

Thanks

Daniel Mysinger
Dell EMC, Enterprise Engineer

Get support on Twitter @DellCaresPRO

0 Kudos
Peach8
1 Copper

Thank you Daniel.

If I disable LCD messaging, I would still see the errors via omreport, correct? And if the errors went to esmlog before, they would still go there after I disable LCD messaging, correct?

Also, if I disable LCD messaging, would I be able to hardcode say a hostname to be displayed on the LCD or disabling means nothing can be displayed, not just the errors?

Thank you..

0 Kudos

@Peach8 wrote:

If I disable LCD messaging, I would still see the errors via omreport, correct? And if the errors went to esmlog before, they would still go there after I disable LCD messaging, correct?

LCD messaging will have no impact on the logs or omreport commands.

@Peach8 wrote:

Also, if I disable LCD messaging, would I be able to hardcode say a hostname to be displayed on the LCD or disabling means nothing can be displayed, not just the errors?

I'm fairly certain that nothing will display on the LCD if you disable messaging. If you turn off LCD messaging you are disabling the LCD.

Thanks

Daniel Mysinger

0 Kudos
Peach8
1 Copper

Thank you Daniel.

Is there a way to configure OpenManage (or use some other utility) so it sends all the traps to a local snmp agent instead of to LCD display at the front of the server? My goal is never to have front LCD flash amber color. My understanding is that flashing amber is caused by alarm/traps being sent to LCD. I don't want to disable LCD all together, so I thought if there is maybe a away OpenManage could send it to snmp agent instead of  LCD. Is there a way?

Thank you.

0 Kudos

There are several options for alert management, but configuring SNMP or using other monitoring tools will not affect the LCD. The only way I know of to stop errors from showing on the LCD is to turn off messaging to the LCD.

Daniel Mysinger

0 Kudos