Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 7th, 2013 11:00

T110 Cannot see any USB devices

I have a T110 II with PERC s300, 3 SATA drives.  System cannot see any USB devices or CD.  I have double-checked that System Setup says All User Accessible USB ports are Enabled.  CD-ROM drive is an eSATA ODD device attached to internal eSATA connection and System Setup says eSATA is 'auto' (other option is 'off').  Any ideas why I only see hard drives?  Short of ripping out PERC can I set some jumpers?  Thank you all.

• 

6.2K Posts

April 7th, 2013 12:00

Hello sgcole

I'm a little confused by this:

CD-ROM drive is an eSATA ODD device attached to internal eSATA connection

I have checked the system board diagram and I cannot find an internal connector for external SATA(eSATA). Are you plugging this external ODD into the SATA_E connector? If so, that is not an external connector. That is one of the internal SATA connectors labeled SATA A/B/C/D/E. If you have plugged an external device to that connector then it could also be the cause of the USB connections not working. Check to see if USB is working with that device disconnected. Also, try the ODD in the eSATA connection at the rear of the server.

Thanks

3 Posts

April 7th, 2013 20:00

My bad-I should have said USB drives and SATA_E ODD drive are not available as choices for booting...

Regarding the ODD, it is plugged into connector #27 (P130, Dell PowerEdge T110 II Owner's Manual).  They refer to is as SATA_E.     Anyway, DVD installed is bootable Windows Server 2008 R2 install, and there is no attempt to access the drive.  I also had a bootable VMware image on USB thumb drive, and there was no attempt to access this either.  Only boot choices that show up in Boot Menu are the two NICs- even though I have am not specifying boot from LAN, PXE boot, etc. 

Thanks.

3 Posts

April 8th, 2013 15:00

No OS.   I am trying to install the OS from Media.

1 Rookie

• 

897 Posts

April 8th, 2013 15:00

Is there an OS on the box, and if so, does the OS recognize the ports?

• 

6.2K Posts

April 10th, 2013 10:00

Check the system BIOS and let me know what is displayed in the boot order list. Check to see if anything unlisted can be added to the list. Also, let me know what the SATA is set to. Do you have any PCIe or other devices added to the system?

2 Posts

May 26th, 2021 04:00

Can I connect a 4TB external to Dell PowerEdge T110ii and use as backup drive

2.9K Posts

May 26th, 2021 06:00

Good morning,

External hard drives can be attached by eSATA or USB and you can store data to them. There are no parts or software I can specifically recommend, but you can attach external storage.

No Events found!