Start a Conversation

Unsolved

E

2 Posts

September 28th, 2019 09:00

T130 repurpose

I have a PowerEdge T130 server that was recently replaced with a newer model simply because the T130's service contract expired and the client preferred a new unit to renewing a service contract. It has a quad-core Intel® Xeon E3-1230 v5 3.4GHz, 8M cache, 4C/8T CPU, one 8GB ECC RAM module, and this thing called "iDRAC8 Basic" which, I believe, has to do with security and booting. It's this latter item which (again, my supposition) makes the boot process take a v-e-r-y long time to finish.

I'm thinking about repurposing this machine as a "productivity desktop" by adding an inexpensive video card and another 8GB ECC memory module of the proper spec; but I'm wondering what can be done about this incredibly long boot process. Is this a result of having the "iDRAC"? Is this a piece of hardware that may be removed? When I look at the old spec sheet for this server, the iDRAC is noted as "Embedded Systems Management" so is this a motherboard chip? If so, I would assume I'm S-O-L.

Comments and advice gratefully appreciated. If the machine would be more useful kept as a server (all software is still on the HD) to someone reading this post, please make me an offer.

Thanks,

Barry

[Edit: Apparently it's an embedded iDRAC (no card on the mobo) so I guess I'll just try to disable it at the BIOS/UEFI screen.]

• 

3.1K Posts

September 30th, 2019 00:00

Hi Barry,

You mentioned the server took a very long boot process, how long did it take? Usually, servers booting process take longer than normal conventional PC. 

Usually, users would re purpose the server as servers. T130 has no verified support for graphic card, but that doesn't mean it won't work. Though, it's more of trial and error as some users do install graphic cards into servers.

You can disable iDRAC by disabling lifecycle controller in BIOS, but I doubt it would help.

No Events found!