tshlim
1 Copper

T320 Fans Running Full Speed

Hi Everyone

I have a T320 from about 2 or 3 years ago. Recently, after a reboot (replacing old UPS), the fans are running full speed and does not slow down. I have tried powering it down all the way and removing flea power, but it doesn't solve anything. I should also note that the blue display at the front of the case (system ID display) is no longer powering on. The "i" button glows blue, but holding on to it doesn't seem to reset the display. There is also a blinking orange light on the back of the case, right underneath where it says iDRAC. However, when you open the case, there is no iDRAC card. Perhaps it is built in to the motherboard? When I try to reset the BMC, or Lifecycle controller or iDRAC, the system (in BIOS and Windows) does not detect anything.

I have a suspicion that we will need a motherboard replacement, but I just wanted to confirm this was the case with the forum. Unfortunately we no longer have warranty support...

Thank you in advance for your replies.

6 Replies

RE: T320 Fans Running Full Speed

Hello

It sounds like the BMC/iDRAC is not functioning correctly.

The Baseboard Management Controller is built into the system board. It controls fan speeds among other things. The integrated Dell Remote Access Controller is a module that adds functionality to the BMC. When an iDRAC is installed/enabled on a server it takes over as the BMC. The iDRAC retains all of the features of the BMC and adds more.

If the BMC/iDRAC does not initialize or function properly then the fans will run at maximum RPM. The fans will only reduce from maximum RPM once the BMC/iDRAC initializes and changes the fans to an appropriate speed based on the system configuration and thermal readings.

when you open the case, there is no iDRAC card. Perhaps it is built in to the motherboard?

Yes, it is built into the system board.

When I try to reset the BMC, or Lifecycle controller or iDRAC, the system (in BIOS and Windows) does not detect anything.

That makes me think the BMC/iDRAC is not initializing properly.

I have a suspicion that we will need a motherboard replacement, but I just wanted to confirm this was the case with the forum.

If you had some type of power event then it is possible hardware components may have been damaged. I would suggest taking the system to minimum-to-POST. Remove/disconnect all unnecessary hardware from the system to see if anything changes. Failed hardware, especially hardware that has been electrically damaged, can cause very odd behavior throughout the system. Something as simple as a thumb drive could cause the BMC/iDRAC to not initialize properly. I would suggest ruling out other failures before replacing the system board.

Thanks

Daniel Mysinger
Dell EMC, Enterprise Engineer

Get support on Twitter @DellCaresPRO

0 Kudos
solomonbunker
1 Copper

Sorry to hitch-hike on the post. I have a T320 with the EXACT same issue. i was wondering if purchasing an iDRAC card might bypass BMC and take over managing the hardware in its place?

0 Kudos

i was wondering if purchasing an iDRAC card might bypass BMC and take over managing the hardware in its place?

No, there is no hardware change when switching between the various iDRAC feature sets. iDRAC features are enabled by licensing. There is no hardware change.

Thanks

Daniel Mysinger
Dell EMC, Enterprise Engineer

Get support on Twitter @DellCaresPRO

0 Kudos
tshlim
1 Copper

We just ended up replacing the fans with thermally controlled fans, connected via 3 pin to sata power adapters. The powers that be did not want to pay for the post-warranty, and were much happier with the price tag of a couple fans and an adapter...

somelim
1 Copper

I have a R320 with fans running at full speed as well. The error message is:

SWC0700: iDRAC is not ready. The configuration values cannot be accessed.

The iDRAC setting version is 1.30.30.27 .The LED is blank.

I found R124056BU on idotpc.com which are thermally controlled fans. But they are controlled by the motherboard which probably means by the iDRAC as well. So how will it solve the problem?

Thank you so much for your time.

0 Kudos
robertanson
1 Copper

Re: T320 Fans Running Full Speed

Yes I have exactly the same issue, I have tried everything I can to get the iDRAC to initialise, like holding in the blue lit button for more than 30 seconds and removing all the power to the unit for a decent time but it refuses to initialise and I can't talk to it through the BIOS setup screen.

The BMC says it is disabled and I am not sure why. It was working fine until I rebooted it.

The fan noise after sitting with the unit all day trying to fix this is problem is driving me nuts.

I imagine a new Motherboard is going to be really expensive (any ideas?) so the 3rd party fans sounds like best way forward.

I wasn't sure how easy isolating and replacing the present fans would be. I will have to return to site and take the lid off the box to see. Any further thoughts on this approach very welcome 🙂

0 Kudos