Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

19 Posts

May 3rd, 2019 10:00

T320 iDRAC7 2.63.60.61 LCC (F10) black screen

Installed  2.63.60.61 on one of my T320's today, it went fine but after rebooting and trying to enter the LCC, I get a black/blank screen and it never actually gets into the LCC.  I've waited up to 50 minutes and still just blank.  There pretty much isn't anything to do but reboot (responds to ctrl-alt-del console command) but when you do it tries to go into the LCC again and you get stuck in a loop, ultimately it finally disables the LCC and goes into recovery mode.  I've tried pulling power and making sure flea power was drained but the same result happens.  Just a blank screen.  Anyone else tried?

Edited to add, I rolled back to 2.61.60.60 and it enters the LCC just fine

• 

6.2K Posts

May 3rd, 2019 11:00

Hello

I was able to reproduce this issue on an R720. Can you check your LCC log to see if you received this error at the time it tried to enter the LCC.

UEFI0012: CPU Exception Type 0x0E: Page Fault (Software).

LCC log page faultLCC log page fault

Thanks

• 

6.2K Posts

May 3rd, 2019 13:00

Thank you for the info @Konijntjes. This has been reproduced internally. We are still in the information gathering stage. I suspect this update will be pulled from our download site soon. Unfortunately, this will further delay the HTTPS feature from being added to the iDRAC 7/8.

1 Message

May 3rd, 2019 13:00

Did the same update and i can confirm that i have the same problem.

I did have the same error as Daniel

UEFI0012: CPU Exception Type 0x0E: Page Fault (Software).
 2019-05-03T15:15:43+0200
Log Sequence Number: 700
Detailed Description:
A CPU page fault (type 0x0E) exception occurred in the pre-boot UEFI environment. A program accessed a page mapped in the virtual address space, but not loaded in physical memory.
Recommended Action:
Recently installed hardware or updated software may cause this exception. Update or remove the hardware or software.

• 

6.2K Posts

May 3rd, 2019 14:00

We have been unable to reproduce this issue on a 13th generation iDRAC8 system yet. If anyone encounters issues with the update with an iDRAC8 please let us know and provide information about the package used and update method.

At this time, the issue appears to only affect 12th generation iDRAC7 systems.

Thanks

• 

6.2K Posts

May 7th, 2019 15:00

@nickname748403 wrote:

Hey there,

I'm experiencing the exact same problem here, so I'll do my best to explain what's going on.

Server model: Poweredge R420. This is my first server; just purchased on craigslist.

BIOS + other devices are all up-to-date. Couldn't get FTP firmware updates working, so I booted to the SLI image and installed them via manually downloaded binaries. Everything seems to be working fine with iDRAC 1.66.65.00 and LifeCycle Controller 1.4.2.12 (installed via legacy binary). As soon as I upgrade iDRAC and LifeCycle Controller to 2.63.60.61 (installed via combined "iDRAC-with-Lifecycle-Controller" binary), I see the following behavior:

• Cannot access iDRAC web interface
  • Every time I boot the machine it attempts to enter straight into the LifeCycle controller, but I hit a blank screen after the white loading bar at the bottom of the screen.

My only way out of this has been to unplug power + all USB drives, reboot a couple times until I can get to the UEFI boot options, boot back into the SLI image, and reinstall iDRAC 1.66.65.00 and LifeCycle Controller 1.4.2.12.

How do you recommend I proceed? I definitely want to be running the latest firmware. Thanks in advance for your help.

I moved your post. You are experiencing multiple issues.

Online catalog updates are not currently supported on the iDRAC7 because the iDRAC7 does not support HTTPS update method. The HTTPS catalog feature was added with 2.63.60.61, but there are issues with that firmware update. I suggest not using it.

You should be able to update directly from 1.66 to the latest firmware. There were revisions between 2.0 and 2.10 that required stepping, but they were removed from the download site. If you experience issues going to the latest then I would step to 2.10 first. Draining flea power and resetting the iDRAC to defaults may help with large firmware jumps.

Thanks

May 7th, 2019 15:00

Hey there,

I'm experiencing the exact same problem here, so I'll do my best to explain what's going on.

Server model: Poweredge R420. This is my first server; just purchased on craigslist.

BIOS + other devices are all up-to-date. Couldn't get FTP firmware updates working, so I booted to the SLI image and installed them via manually downloaded binaries. Everything seems to be working fine with iDRAC 1.66.65.00 and LifeCycle Controller 1.4.2.12 (installed via legacy binary). As soon as I upgrade iDRAC and LifeCycle Controller to 2.63.60.61 (installed via combined "iDRAC-with-Lifecycle-Controller" binary), I see the following behavior:

• Cannot access iDRAC web interface
  • Every time I boot the machine it attempts to enter straight into the LifeCycle controller, but I hit a blank screen after the white loading bar at the bottom of the screen.

My only way out of this has been to unplug power + all USB drives, reboot a couple times until I can get to the UEFI boot options, boot back into the SLI image, and reinstall iDRAC 1.66.65.00 and LifeCycle Controller 1.4.2.12.

How do you recommend I proceed? I definitely want to be running the latest firmware. Thanks in advance for your help.

• 

6.2K Posts

May 8th, 2019 09:00

Thank you for the information @dfriant .

No, I do not currently have an ETA of when we will release another update to add the HTTPS feature. We are still gathering information and fault isolating the issue. If I had to guess, I would guess another update would not be out for at least a month, likely longer. We have to identify the problem, correct it, test it, and then go through all of the processes to release it. It is my understanding that we are still in the identifying stage.

2 Posts

May 8th, 2019 09:00

Just thought I'd chime in as I have also run into this issue on iDRAC 7s with the new 2.63.60.61 firmware unfortunately. Out of the three R620s I tried upgrading, I somehow got lucky with 1 working Lifecycle controller but the other two would sit at a black screen as others described. I reverted those two back to 2.61.60.60 which works, but can't download firmware updates with that version unfortunately (the whole reason I upgraded in the first place).

So far the three R730s (with iDRAC 8) servers I've updated seem to have no issues with this new 2.63.60.61 firmware (so far).

I know this version just came out, but any idea how long a fix might take to be released?

2 Posts

May 8th, 2019 12:00

Thanks Daniel, I appreciate your explaining how the process works estimation on the time-frame for developing a fix/updated version. That gives me enough of an idea to determine my next steps.

May 10th, 2019 16:00

Welp, I spoke too soon. LCC loads on 2.61.60.60, but I can no longer log in to the iDRAC web interface - either with my old credentials or defaults.

Seeing "RAC0212: Login failed. Verify that username and password is correct." followed by "undefined 600 undefined".

Any advice on next steps? Apologies if this is better off in a separate thread -- I'm new here :). Thanks in advance for the help.

May 10th, 2019 16:00

Daniel, dfriant - thanks for your help!

I no longer see iDRAC 2.63 on the support download site; I gave 2.61.60.60 a shot and AFAICT it's working. That was easier than expected :)

• 

6.2K Posts

May 13th, 2019 09:00

@nickname748403 wrote:

Welp, I spoke too soon. LCC loads on 2.61.60.60, but I can no longer log in to the iDRAC web interface - either with my old credentials or defaults.

Seeing "RAC0212: Login failed. Verify that username and password is correct." followed by "undefined 600 undefined".

If you are getting a pop-up window asking for credentials then close out of that window without entering anything. Make sure you are entering the credentials into the browser window and not a pop-up. Try a different browser and try clearing cookies and temporary files from the browser. If you can remote into the host operating system you should be able to change the root password using RACADM. I think you can also modify accounts with physical access to the system through the iDRAC options in the boot menus.

http://www.dell.com/idracmanuals/

The manuals are not updated with every firmware release. If there are no documents on the latest firmware then you will need to go back through the firmware until you find the revision the documentation was released.

If you require additional assistance with this issue then I would prefer it be discussed in a new thread. I would like this thread to stay on the topic of issues with 2.63.60.61 firmware.

Thanks

19 Posts

May 16th, 2019 06:00

Any word if the issue with  2.63.60.61 was identified?  Would love to know if they/you at least figured out what the issue is/was.

Thanks

• 

6.2K Posts

May 16th, 2019 10:00

We are working on a fix currently. The initial ETA of the firmware release is the end of this month, late May. Any issues encountered during the process will push back the release, but we are working to get it out as soon as possible.

19 Posts

May 16th, 2019 10:00

Ok, I wasn't pressing you for a date, just curious if the problem was identified.

No Events found!