Start a Conversation

Unsolved

3 Posts

June 28th, 2018 05:00

T320 power supply upgrade

Hi all, 

I'm running into a problem others have apparently run into before. Installing more ram in my T320 has sent it over the edge and I now get the "alert power required exceeds psu wattage" warning. 

I have a single non redundant power supply with cabled ends (never seen that in a server before!). Since they're cabled, I obviously can't buy a larger power supply with the slot type ends. 

The other posts note that there is no supported upgrade path. I'm out of warranty and this server was recycled from a different client. I'm willing to experiment a bit. 

Is there a higher model server  (T420, T520, etc) that has a power supply like this, with more wattage? If so, are the dimensions similar enough that I could work it into the T320? 

Or, does someone have a picture of the connectors for this power supply? I didn't take pictures when I was installing it, and it's offsite in a data center. The part number for the current power supply is 8M7N4.

3 Posts

June 28th, 2018 07:00

Doing a bit of research: It looks like the bracket/mount/hole in the T320 is the same size for power supplies, regardless of single/dual power supplies. 

Then, look at the single power supply and all it's cables, vs the dual power supply and it's cables. The dual power supply needs the connector/slots female ends, and then all the needed cables to go throughout the case. 

So we need the power distribution board (KKY3X) and the power backplane board (K501P). There was a metal bracket that I needed but I wasn't able to find the part number. I was able to find a upgrade kit that offered substantial savings over purchasing this stuff ala cart. That part number was PET320-RPS-Kit. Without linking to that site you could probably just Google Poweredge T320 Redundant power supply kit. There are a few sites that had it but I got it at $225. It should arrive next week. I'll provide an update as to whether it works or not. 

1 Message

July 10th, 2019 16:00

Hey there Geoff, I am having the same problem with an inherited T320 after adding a couple of drives to the raid array. I found the kit you were referring to in you post. Just wondering if it worked out for you. Thanks, Michael

2.9K Posts

July 11th, 2019 07:00

The T420 does have a higher wattage rated PSU than the 350 watt non-redundant unit you have. This PSU is rated for 550W and it's part number is 2G4WR. As for whether or not it would work in a T320, I can only say that it wasn't validated. I really can't speak to whether or not it would work.

3 Posts

July 11th, 2019 12:00

Hi Michael, 

Yes that kit worked. Still going strong more than a year later. 

1 Message

October 29th, 2019 12:00

Hi Geoff,

I'm in a similar situation where I've added some drives to my T320 and now have run out of wattage.

My question for you is what the purpose of the metal bracket in the kit you used?

I've managed to find sources for the backplane (K501P), the distribution board (KKY3X), and 750W PSUs, but not the bracket.

Thanks

1 Rookie

• 

8 Posts

November 10th, 2019 19:00

Did you ever do this?

May 29th, 2022 12:00

I am curious about the purpose of the bracket as well. The complete PSU kits are $200+, whereas the KKY3X is around $30, the K501P around $15, a pair of 495W for $30, but the bracket itself I can only find for $200+. Would almost be cheaper to buy a T320 with redundant power supply already installed but I imagine most of us are here because we own a T320 with the non-redundant power supply.

Dell Quick Resource Locator has a video called "PowerEdge T320 : Power Distribution Board" and in the video I do not see the bracket at all. I will probably try and install the KKY3X and K501P w/pair of 495w PSUs without the bracket and see how it goes.

• 

3.6K Posts

May 29th, 2022 19:00

Hi, about the bracket- I'm guessing it's a difference between redundant and non redundant 
Non-redundant : One big one  VS Redundant: Two small ones (support hot swap). I attached Pics for non redundant and redundant as well.
Just my two pennies.

1 Attachment

June 3rd, 2022 16:00

I installed the KKY3X and K501P with a pair of 495w PSUs, without the bracket, and everything went fine. The bracket is supposed to be placed between the two power supplies as there is slight wiggle, but in my opinion not enough wiggle for it to cause any damage. Spent around $80 instead of $200+ on the homelab so pretty happy about that.

March 8th, 2023 08:00

Hi Brandon,

It is awesome to know that a path exists for upgrading the power in the T320.  Could you please detail the steps you took?  Greatly appreciate your effort in advance!

Thanks!  

No Events found!