GeoffAO
1 Copper

T320 power supply upgrade

Hi all, 

I'm running into a problem others have apparently run into before. Installing more ram in my T320 has sent it over the edge and I now get the "alert power required exceeds psu wattage" warning. 

I have a single non redundant power supply with cabled ends (never seen that in a server before!). Since they're cabled, I obviously can't buy a larger power supply with the slot type ends. 

The other posts note that there is no supported upgrade path. I'm out of warranty and this server was recycled from a different client. I'm willing to experiment a bit. 

Is there a higher model server  (T420, T520, etc) that has a power supply like this, with more wattage? If so, are the dimensions similar enough that I could work it into the T320? 

Or, does someone have a picture of the connectors for this power supply? I didn't take pictures when I was installing it, and it's offsite in a data center. The part number for the current power supply is 8M7N4.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
GeoffAO
1 Copper

Re: T320 power supply upgrade

Doing a bit of research: It looks like the bracket/mount/hole in the T320 is the same size for power supplies, regardless of single/dual power supplies. 

Then, look at the single power supply and all it's cables, vs the dual power supply and it's cables. The dual power supply needs the connector/slots female ends, and then all the needed cables to go throughout the case. 

So we need the power distribution board (KKY3X) and the power backplane board (K501P). There was a metal bracket that I needed but I wasn't able to find the part number. I was able to find a upgrade kit that offered substantial savings over purchasing this stuff ala cart. That part number was PET320-RPS-Kit. Without linking to that site you could probably just Google Poweredge T320 Redundant power supply kit. There are a few sites that had it but I got it at $225. It should arrive next week. I'll provide an update as to whether it works or not. 

0 Kudos
MtjBiz
1 Copper

Hey there Geoff, I am having the same problem with an inherited T320 after adding a couple of drives to the raid array. I found the kit you were referring to in you post. Just wondering if it worked out for you. Thanks, Michael
0 Kudos

The T420 does have a higher wattage rated PSU than the 350 watt non-redundant unit you have. This PSU is rated for 550W and it's part number is 2G4WR. As for whether or not it would work in a T320, I can only say that it wasn't validated. I really can't speak to whether or not it would work.

#Iwork4Dell
0 Kudos
GeoffAO
1 Copper

Hi Michael, 

Yes that kit worked. Still going strong more than a year later. 

0 Kudos