Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 8th, 2015 16:00

T410 No Power / Power Flickering

Hello all,

I have a poweredge T410 that does not receive power, and I am trying to determine if the issue is with the power supply or the motherboard.

When power is plugged in, the power supply makes a clicking noise, and all of the lights inside of the system flicker. When the test button on the back of the power supply is held down, the system seems to receive stable power.

The system is in a minimum post state (1 cpu, 1 ram stick, cpu cooler, etc..) and it behaves the same with the front panel/power button disconnected.

Any help greatly appreciated.

• 

8.4K Posts

July 9th, 2015 08:00

Apanzeriv,

Sorry to hear you're having issues with the T410. To start I am assuming that you have the Non-redundant Power Supply configuration. If this isn't the case, do you get the same results with each power supply? If it is non redundant then there is a couple things to consider. First is if anything has been changed, upgraded, or updated since this issue has begun. If so then let me know what has been done. Another thing to consider is if there is another T410 that you can use to test known good parts in this server, like the power supply.

The steps you have taken, such as taking the server to the Minimum to Post configuration, was the correct steps to take. Yet it being a non redundant, and both the power supply and motherboard being Min to Post components, it is harder to eliminate either individually without swapping with a known good. 

I would suggest reseating the power supply, or power supply cables if non redundant, as well as everything connected to the motherboard. 

Lastly, let me know if there was a power incident when the issue occurred, like a power outage or storm.

Let me know what you see.

23 Posts

July 9th, 2015 13:00

I have the single 525W power supply without the circuit board. I apologize about the confusion.

I do have some spare parts. I have the power supply and wiring harness from a Precision T5400. They don't appear to be compatible though.

I took the entire cable harness out and dusted it out with a compressor as well as the power supply and the rest of the system.

As far as I know, there were no outages or storms when the issue arose.

• 

8.4K Posts

July 13th, 2015 06:00

It is likely a failure in the power supply, or the motherboard. Do you happen to have a known good power supply from a matching server that we could test with?

August 16th, 2017 11:00

At this moment we find ourselves in the same situation.

It seems to be a power supply problem, since the led does not light and then, when we press the test button, it works!

No Events found!