Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

MK

June 13th, 2015 06:00

T420 Power Supply Firmware Update not Working

I have a T420 server and it keep tell me to update the PSU Firmware and when I do it it does not upgrade.

I have updated using dell lifecycle manager and after the reboot it say it has not updated

I have run the upgrade from within Windows and again it says it has been successful but after the reboot it has not upgrade

What I'm I doing wrong?   

• 

6.2K Posts

June 13th, 2015 16:00

Hello

Which PSU do you have? If capable, are you running redundant PSUs? If you are running redundant PSUs are they at the same FW revision? Which FW revision are they currently at? Which FW update are you trying to install?

Thanks

June 14th, 2015 03:00

Daniel Question answered as asked

Which PSU do you have?

Both PSU are P/N 06W2PWA00 750 Watt

Are you running redundant PSUs?

There are 2 PSU installed

But the Power Supply Options says

Redundancy Policy "NOT Redundant" but I cannot change this option

FW revision

69.45.9B

Both PSUs are at the same version

Which FW update are you trying to install?

6B.47.9B

Mark

• 

6.2K Posts

June 14th, 2015 10:00

Try updating the PSUs one at a time. Shut down the system and remove one of the PSUs. Update the one PSU and then insert the second PSU after the first update completes. It should install the firmware to the second PSU. If it doesn't install the firmware on the second PSU then shut the system back down and turn it on with just the PSU you still need to update. Run the update process again for that PSU.

Thanks

October 15th, 2015 12:00

Hi sorry it has taken me some months to get an outage approved to take the server down. Sadly after getting an outage and doing as about trying one PSU at a time same result the upgrade fails.

Upgrade runs reboots the server PSU takes a long time to turn back on again may 2 to 3 minutes. But when you look the Firmware have not upgraded.

Tried both PUS one at a time same outcome firmware does not upgrade for either PSU

What next ?           

1 Message

April 8th, 2016 06:00

We had the same issues with one of our R620's after a scheduled power cut today. After talking to Dell Support we shutdown the server for a total powerdrain, after doing so we saw no redundancy warnings anymore.

After that we tried upgrading the firmware from 69.45.9B to 6B.47.9B, with the result of the lifecycle log saying completed but when I check IDRAC it still says 69.45.9B. Would love to have an update from Dell on this issue.

No Events found!