Start a Conversation

Unsolved

N

2 Posts

May 22nd, 2020 07:00

T620 NVME SSD backplane power cable connection?

I recently got a T620 and wanted to add some extra storage, so I got this NVME SSD kit . Now the problem is that the Dell manual says the the power cable can plug into the power board below the motherboard, but the connector on the power board doesn't match the connector on the backplane.
The backplane has an 8 pin connection and the power board has a 10 pin connection. The backplane 8 pin connection also uses smaller pins than the power board uses (see keycaps for size reference).

I'm wondering if there's a power cable that I can't find that would convert from one plug to the other? Something like this is what I'm looking for.  That specific cable (probably?) won't work but it's an example of some kind of transition cable.

If anyone knows the model number of the cable that I'm looking for please let me know! Any information at all would be very helpful! Thanks in advance everyone.

2.9K Posts

May 22nd, 2020 12:00

Based on what I'm looking at, I'm thinking you probably need to change the power interposer board. There are 2 board designs, one with an 8 pin and one with a 10 pin connector. VDY5T has an 8 pin connector, but MDCVH does not. As far as a conversion cable - there's none that I know of. Without knowing the pin outs, I'd be hesitant to make one, either. 

I'd look at getting the other PIB. You can confirm your part numbers by putting the service tag of your T620 into the support site's search function, then checking it's build configuration.

2 Posts

May 22nd, 2020 17:00

The 8 pin connector on the VDY5T is a different size than the 8 pin connector on the 693W6.  The 693W6 connector is smaller.  The VDY5T is the same size as the motherboard power connector on the MDCVH.  Someone on Reddit directed me towards the T77XR power cable which seems like it'll work but it's pretty expensive for a cable and looks like it's only available from China.  I'm looking into finding a an alternate Dell 10 pin cable that I can splice with a 123W8 cable that I have coming in the mail.

No Events found!