Skipmeister
Copper

T710 with Perc 6/i - trying to add SSD as 2nd Raid0 array

Trying to get some additional life and a little extra speed out of these boxes for a Lab environment.  I currently have a 5 drive SATA Raid5 configuration which is working fine, however I am looking to add a 2nd 'array' with a single disk SSD.  The boxes identify the SSD and if I remove the RAID5 array I can build a RAID0 VD with just the single SSD.  In either configuration (SSD or Mechanical), it seems I can only build a single array.  From what reading I've done over the past few days, my understanding is that the Perc 6/i array will support multiple arrays as long as I'm not mixing SAS/SATA together which I am not.

Can anyone confirm this is possible and send me in the right direction before I start trying to Frankenstein this?  If it is not feasible, any suggestions on whether the primary board in these servers will support the addition of a SSD and if not any suggestions on a card I can add to support this configuration?  Worst case I can add all of this via  an external USB enclosure, but I expect that would defeat the purpose of speeding things up without adding a USB3 card.  If I have to go that far, I might as well add a controller card for the SSD.

Thoughts?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
theflash1932
Diamond

Re: T710 with Perc 6/i - trying to add SSD as 2nd Raid0 arra

No, the PERC 6 supports like 64 logical/virtual disks.

With your RAID 5 in and functioning, insert your drive and boot to CTRL-R, highlight the controller, hit F2 and there should be an option to create a new VD. If not, then one of two things is happening: 1) your SSD is not compatible and not recognized, or 2) the drive is flagged as "foreign". If foreign, highlight the controller, hit F2, then Foreign, CLEAR. Then you can assign a VD with it.

You can also do this from OMSA in the OS.

You can also mix SAS/SATA/HDD/SSD, just not in the same array/VD.

Because the PERC 6 does not support non-RAID, a single-disk RAID 0 is your only option, but it definitely can run them all side by side.

0 Kudos
Skipmeister
Copper

Thanks for the response theflash1932!! Smiley Happy

Trying to use some pictures to better communicate...

Step 1:  I'm able to validate that I see all 6 drives (5 - 3.5" 2TB drives, 1 - SSD)

1-AddDiskAvailable.jpg

Step 2: When creating a VD, I can see all 6 drives

2-CreateVD.jpg

Step 3: Create a Raid 5 Array with 5 - 2TB Sata drives

3-Raid5VD.jpg

Step 4: Deleted the Raid 5 and created a Riad0 array with the SSD.

4-SSDVD.jpg

Hopefully this brings a little more clarity to the issue I'm having.  The PERC 6/i controller is seeing each disk fine before I create a VD.  It is working with each drive just fine until a VD is created.  As soon as I create a VD however, the unused drives are no longer visible on the VD Mgmt tab for me to create a VD1 (1st array is VD0).  I'm guessing the process is supposed to be to select the drive, press F2 and Create new VD - but none of those options are available.  If I go to Ctrl Mgmt tab, I still see the alternate drives as online or avail - but I cannot create a VD from that screen...

Anything folks see me doing improperly or any feedback as to why this may be happening?  I think I'm following the correct steps...  Any suggestions appreciated!

0 Kudos
Skipmeister
Copper

Figured I'd try bumping this thread one more time to see if there was any feedback or suggestions... Summary is that controller allows a Raid0 SSD drive to be added OR a raid 5 mechanical drive set to be added )both SATA interface), but when one is selected there is no option to create a 2nd array, even tho the controller is intended to allow for multiple arrays. Any thoughts and insight would be greatly appreciated!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
theflash1932
Diamond

Server hardware (iDRAC/LCC, BIOS, backplane, and PERC 6 firmware in particular) up to date? I believe there were several updates addressing SSD compatibility. 

If you create a RAID 0 with the SSD and reboot, does it look ok after a reboot? If so, install Windows to the RAID 0, then go to OpenManage Server Administrator and see if you can create a RAID 5 from there.

theflash1932
Diamond

Keep in mind that is SSD compatibility in general … if you are using a desktop/laptop SSD, then all bets are off and that should be your main suspect.