Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 23rd, 2022 07:00

The System Detected an exception during the UEFI pre-boot environment.

I am getting the message below when rebooting a Dell PowerEdge R740xd2 server which has a BIOS version of 2.12.2

PowerEdge_BIOS.png

This is message that I am getting in the iDRAC event log:

A fatal error was detected on a component at bus 4 device 0 function 1.

Do you have any idea what may be causing this and how to resolve it ?

• 

3.3K Posts

September 23rd, 2022 12:00

Hello HW-U,

Was anything being done on the server when this occurred? Firmware updates or Hardware changes?

Recently installed hardware or updated software may cause this exception. Update or remove the hardware or software.

In the log where you see "bus 4 device 0 function 1"; Is there an entry that indicates a slot number?

A bus fatal error was detected on a component at slot #

If so try reseating or removing the device.

Once you can complete POST without error; the BIOS 2.12.2 needs updated to 2.15.1 and check that the iDRAC is up to 5.10.50.00.

https://dell.to/3BElWZm

2 Posts

September 27th, 2022 01:00

Hello Dell -Charles R

Thanks for your reply. I`ve now successfully rebooted the server several times so the error appeared to be transient. If it crops again I`ll identify and reseat the device as you have suggested. We will also look at upgrading the BIOS and iDRAC.

Thanks for your help.

3 Posts

January 12th, 2024 11:59

Hi, this has happened to me with an r660xs with bios ver 1.6.6 while trying to update via lifecycle controller.

note this is a brand new server with esxi 8.0.u2 pre-installed.

i think this is related to the boss card not being compatible with uefi but im unsure.

(edited)

• 

2.1K Posts

January 12th, 2024 12:42

Hi, if you have BOSS card please update to the BOSS card firmware. 

Firmware Updates or Hardware Changes: If there have been any recent modifications to the server’s hardware or firmware, this could potentially trigger the exception. It may be beneficial to update or even remove any recently installed or updated hardware or software.

Device Reseating or Removal: If you notice “bus 4 device 0 function 1” in the log, there could be an entry indicating a slot number. If that’s the case, consider reseating or removing the device. Once you can successfully complete POST without any errors, it’s necessary to update the BIOS.

Updates to BIOS and iDRAC: It’s generally advised to keep your BIOS and iDRAC updated to the latest versions.

3 Posts

January 19th, 2024 11:50

Hi, @Dell-ErmanO

Problem is, this happened to me whilst trying to update, servers work in production as intended.

I finally solved it, by retrying the firmware update via the RAC and not lifecycle controller environment.

Systems are stable (bought 4 identical r660s, and some of them gave me this issue, but only when trying to update).

Thanks for your answer.

• 

2.1K Posts

January 19th, 2024 13:02

Hi, glad to hear that and thank you for your feedback.

Have a good one!

No Events found!