Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 21st, 2015 05:00

USB 3.0 PCI-e card for PE T610

Hello there!

I've recently acquired a PE T610 tower, and I'm looking to adding USB 3.0 to it. I've looked at a couple of PCI-e cards, but they seem to recommend either a 4-pin Molex or SATA power connector.

Is there something I can do to provide either one of those? I've heard about cables available for other server models to provide a 4-pin Molex connector.

On a side note, are there any recommended cards for use for the T610? I'm looking for one that preferably has two ports or above and also Linux support.

Thanks!

February 21st, 2015 06:00

I usually connect to the power connector that is intended to supply the dvd drive (I think the motherboard may have two connectors ........)

I have no experience of these systems but

http://www.newgeardeals.com/Dell_PowerEdge_T610_Optical_Drive_GW834_CN_0GW83_p/gw834.htm

is consistent with the sort of cable you need. Do some googling to confirm the correct cable and go to ebay.

You can use a converter to convert to molex

http://www.netstoredirect.com/startech-com-power-cables/279628-startechcom-12in-sata-to-molex-lp4-power-cable-adapter-fm-0065030854511.html?gclid=CjwKEAiA9qCnBRCb7ZDhvaHSyicSJABGFFHtzBDB5XLRtJAEjPtTA_I_SwAk6RPDXUYZ5cesgYBlAhoCli7w_wcB

In regard to Linux I would choose an oldish branded card. However Linux forums are your best bet. 

74 Posts

March 5th, 2015 02:00

Similar issue here.

BUT

Wouldnt this work? http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-SATPCIEX8ADP-6-Inch-Express-Adapter/dp/B007Y8FSMQ The connector seems to be the exact same on ítem 4 here http://www.dell.com/support/manuals/us/en/19/Topic/poweredge-r730/R730_R730xd_Publication-v1/en-us/GUID-F9627386-54DD-4436-AAC6-9DBF28DC52B7 in the manual. It should be able to convert it to a standard SATA power connector which I need for a USB 3.0 PCI-E card.

74 Posts

March 5th, 2015 02:00

This is the connector I am talking about:

March 5th, 2015 05:00

(I do not have a T610 and never used any dell server Tower. I do not know what sockets and connectors they come with .)

Isn't that motherboard socket an INPUT?

You need a socket that OUTPUTS power which you can feed into your device.

HOWEVER!!!!!

"hacking" connectors  to get a USB3 device working is one thing,  doing the same to get power hungry devices working  is another.

I know of one group who got a high end video device working on their server, all was fine for two days until the server kept cutting of due to its internal temperature getting too high. They hacked into it removing the limit and over the weekend the fans on the device melted. This was because although the card  fitted, the fans and case were not designed to cope with the amount of heat the card was kicking out.

Additionally you probably are making demands on the motherboard sockets for electrical  current that they were not designed to give. Read the reviews for the device you linked to. It may well "work" at first, but as well as causing "reliability" issues. their could be a serious safety issues

Just because something physically fits does not mean it works and is safe.

March 5th, 2015 06:00

of course!

Whatever must I have been thinking.

74 Posts

March 5th, 2015 06:00

Why would that be a input socket connector (its not called a socket) when there are already 2 input connectors for each PSU? What more input would you give into a "backplane power connector 0"?

By what you are saying "Tape backup unit power connector" is ALSO a input connector that feeds power FROM the tape backup unit INTO the backplane? What the....

Im not hacking anything. Im simply converting it, with a widely avaliable, adapter from one port to another.

So would you call molex to SATA power also hacking?

Whoever did that was a moron, period. If the server says the temp is hitting is upper limit, it is hitting its upper limit, These are not PCs that might have a faulty sensor or that can handle it. They are servers and when they are hitting their limit, there is not much wiggle space. 

This server can hold up to 8 HDD (more in some configurations) I only have 6 HDDs plugged in. Asking for 0.9 A (4.5 W) (USB 3.0's max) is not going to ask the motherboard for current it wasnt designed to give.

74 Posts

March 6th, 2015 10:00

Just posted whatever came to your mind without thinking it thru.

March 6th, 2015 12:00

Yeah. I was in a hurry, had to catch a plane to British Gibraltar.

74 Posts

March 6th, 2015 22:00

Wish I had time to dream like that. Nice dreams! :)

74 Posts

March 9th, 2015 14:00

I found a recent Dell desktop and found a cable inside that again was connected to a 8 pin and gave SATA power. I got this cable and it plugs perfectly into the 8 pin.

Im not sure about putting this cable into the server and hooking it up connected to the card.

No Events found!