mkavinsky
1 Copper

USB 3.0 driver for Windows 2008 system image restore? Powedge T420

I need assistance please with trying to get my Dell PE t420 back up and running.  I am restoring from a Windows image back up (the data is on the drive and its there)  Its a WD Elements external drive.

Problem is when I insert the WIndows OS disc (Server SBS2011) and then I run the "Repair computer" it will scan for a system image backup

but then I'll get the error "windows cannot find a system image on this computer"

Ive been at this for hours and I read that WIndows 2008 does not load USB3 drivers during this process and I think that may be the problem.   Ive tried to install a driver (intel 3.0 usb drivers from their site) and it still doesn't work

I've updated the BIOS to 2.4.2 and updated the CHipset and still the same result.  yet when I go to the command prompt its all there (data).   in the root folder:   c:\WindowsImageBackup

I really think it has to do with somehow getting the USB 3.o drivers installed.   Can anyone assist or has anyone encountered this before?

thank you very much

0 Kudos
3 Replies

RE: USB 3.0 driver for Windows 2008 system image restore? Powedge T420

Hello

Ive been at this for hours and I read that WIndows 2008 does not load USB3 drivers during this process and I think that may be the problem.   Ive tried to install a driver (intel 3.0 usb drivers from their site) and it still doesn't work

The T420 does not have USB 3.0 ports. The T420 uses USB 2.0, and I think they are backwards compatible with USB 1.1, but I'm not certain on the backward compatibility. USB 3.0 was first introduced in our 13th generation servers, the  T420 is a 12th generation server. Unless you are using a USB 3.0 PCIe card to connect the storage device it is not a USB 3.0 issue.

Thanks

Daniel Mysinger
Dell EMC, Enterprise Engineer

0 Kudos
mkavinsky
1 Copper

Thank you for your reply.  So you don't feel it has anything do to with the external benign USB 3.0 connector?  I am at a loss then as to why I can get the system image to load so it can restore

0 Kudos

So you don't feel it has anything do to with the external benign USB 3.0 connector?

I have no reason to believe there is an issue with a USB 3.0 driver based on the information you provided. The external USB device should use USB 2.0 since the system doesn't support USB 3.0. If you are able to drop to a command line and browse the file structure of the external drive then it is functional. It uses the same drivers from the recovery command line that it does from the recovery GUI.

I suggest reviewing Microsoft articles on recovering from an image. There may be a certain method when using an external storage device instead of an internal device.

Thanks

Daniel Mysinger
Dell EMC, Enterprise Engineer

0 Kudos