Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

2 Posts

April 22nd, 2019 12:00

USB Mouse and Keyboard not work in BIOS PowerEdge 1900

Hi, we have and PowerEdge 1900 and the server stuck in BIOS because the mouse and keyboard doesn't work. We change the devices but the issue persists. We try to clear NVRAM, nothing. Disconect all devices and hard drives, nothing. We need help because we want to use this server for storage.

• 

6.2K Posts

April 22nd, 2019 14:00

Hello

I don't think the 1900 has mouse support in the BIOS. I suggest trying other USB ports and other keyboards. When you clear NVRAM make sure it is done via jumper. Removing the CMOS battery does not clear NVRAM on most of our servers.

USB port specifications and instructions for clear NVRAM should be listed in the manual.

http://www.dell.com/poweredgemanuals/

Thanks

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

April 22nd, 2019 15:00

I know the 2950 (even rev I) has BIOS support for USB, so I would be pretty confident that the 19x0 servers do too. There is probably a setting though to disable BIOS support for USB (if you reset NVRAM, it should enable that as a default though too).

2 Posts

April 23rd, 2019 04:00

We used jumper to clear NVRAM and de issue persists. Changed the USB ports and tryied another keyboard and nothing happened.

• 

6.2K Posts

April 23rd, 2019 08:00

If the issue persists at minimum-to-POST with known good hardware after clearing NVRAM and testing all USB ports then I would guess that parts replacement of the remaining components would be necessary. The most likely component would be the system board.

2.5K Posts

April 23rd, 2019 15:00

yes old systems first off a new RTC coin cell , is it bad this is first. it wont last 13 years on this 13 year old Server? no way.jose' all power removed from system.. then reset bios. (means NVRAM reset ) the if you have PS2 keyboard you can go into BIOS and find the USB ports turned off, inside bios some pro server frames, ban USB devices for fear of 2 thing infected USB or person stealing data (for sure not you) every company needs to keep one PS2 KBD just for times like this when all USB ports are dead, even the ones inside hidden if you have that. oops no PS2 on this model so only BIOS NVRAM defaults can work. the rear ports IMO are the most ripe, not needing cables and such things. key facts. 1: power off no power at all. 2 new RTC coin cell battery, loc. just behind the ATI video chip, 3: then do the NVRAM reset per book. 4: now the USB ports must work at least SOME. (rear)
No Events found!