Highlighted
craig_stillman
1 Copper

USB Passthrough on ESXi 5.5 and R720

I am trying to get a USB drive to passthrough to a VM hosted on a R720. I can't get ESXi nor the VM to recognize the device. I have tried various things, including enabling passthrough on the USB controllers, different USB ports, different drives. Any ideas?

Also, I now can't get my USB controllers out of passthrough mode. I unmark them for passthrough, reboot, but they still show as enabled for passthrough.

TIA

VMware ESXi 5.5.0, 1746018 on PowerEdge R720 BIOS 2.2.3

0 Kudos
1 Reply

RE: USB Passthrough on ESXi 5.5 and R720

Graig_Stillman,

There are a couple things to look at, but I fear in order to correct you will need to reinstall ESXi.

I would first look at whether the USB device is even compatible for passthrough. When configuring the usb passthrough it is done differently than vmdirectpath i/o, which it sounds like maybe you were trying.  USB for passthrough you will need to create a new USB controller and then assign the drive to it. You can't use the existing USB Controller listed, you must create a new one.  

Now the reason I believe you will need to reinstall the host is that if you did use vm-directpath i/o, then it allocates resources away, and if you aren't able to unselect them then it normally calls for a reinstall.

Let me know if this helps. 

Chris Hawk

Dell | Social Outreach Services - Enterprise
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro 
Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

0 Kudos