Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 1st, 2017 17:00

Updating very old version firmware on used R710

need help

im trying to update firmware on my machine R710

i press F10 to go into Lifecycler controller UEFI v2.1 (bios version 2.1.9 USC version 1.3.0.16)

when it gets into the USC it dose not give me an option to update at all (no option to update)

these are my options

home/HW config/ OS deployment/ Hardware diagnostics/ USC settings and About

i did some research it says i can download an update to LCC via USB(dell.app.box.com/.../BootableR710)

but when i boot into the usb with above download it says (no applicable update to your configuration)

can anyone give me a step by step process on how to  update from my version to a USABLE version that can update it self from dell.ftp(example 3.0 or 4.0 update that can jump to latest update)?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 5th, 2017 08:00

Hello.

On the left pane, there is usually Firmware Update upon clicking takes you to Launch Firmware Upates. Make sure that your network is set up to use FTP site. Otherwise, reset the BIOS to default settings by clearing the NVRAM and try again. See Users' Guide for more information: http://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_ser_stor_net/esuprt_poweredge/poweredge-r710_owner%27s%20manual_en-us.pdf 

7 Posts

September 5th, 2017 09:00

Hello

I was able to get updates through ftp.dell but when it was updating my server rebooted and I no longer can access the lifecycle controller when pressing F10 after Post also when the dell logo comes up after reboot it dose not say revision number.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 5th, 2017 09:00

You can still try to clear the system NVRAM

7 Posts

September 5th, 2017 21:00

yes i just tried to clear NVRAM

i can not get into the lifecycle controller by pressing F10  it hangs.

i do have access to the IDRAC6 and it says the lifecycle controller version is blank

also i notice when i boot machine the dell logo appears but no revision number shows up

do you recommend replacing system board?

this all started because i had some memory dimms disabled by bios so i wanted to update the BIOS now the server seems bricked

Thank You again

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 6th, 2017 08:00

Attempt to apply the LifeCycle Repair package and see whether or not you are able to enter its configuration utility: http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=80XJ1 

7 Posts

September 6th, 2017 19:00

Hello

i get update failed when i upload to the patch it seems my only option is to replace system board do you have any instructional videos on

1) how to update an old server firmware to up to date version without damaging it (for example my BIOS was on 2.1.9 how do i go from this to latest version)

2) how to replace system board on R710 3.5" option 6 drives

again thank you for all your help have a nice day

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 7th, 2017 08:00

1) how to update an old server firmware to up to date version without damaging it (for example my BIOS was on 2.1.9 how do i go from this to latest version)

What you can do is to apply updates stepwise up to the latest begining with the BIOS then iDRAC as follows:

BIOS 2.1.15    iDRAC  1.92

BIOS 2.2.10    iDRAC  1.95

BIOS 3.0.0      iDRAC  1.98

BIOS  6.07     iDRAC  2.80 

BIOS 6.3.0     iDRAC 2.90 and finally apply the latest BIOS

2) how to replace system board on R710 3.5" option 6 drives

No instructions specific to this set up. All you do is to swap out the old system board with the new one and replace hardware components.

May 4th, 2018 19:00

Hello, I finally had luck with the method of what " DELL-Robert Odongo Moderator" Recommended. I have MServer 2016 running. I downloaded each file and lined them up within the OS. Then as recommended I ran them one after another. However, Whenever I update the bios. It runs through, restarts and seems successful. However, on boot-up I can see the BIOS version staying at 2.1.15. When it should be going up to "PER710_BIOS_WIN_3.0.0" aka Bios 3.0.0.

On another note, before anyone asks. Yes, I did download the EXE file that was for windows. Although when I run the BIOS.exe file it states that it is for an new unsupported system?? Am I missing something? I assume its because these were designed for up to MS 2012. Although theoretically it should still work.

When fallowing your steps. Does this automatically update Life-cycle as well?
Lifecycle Controller Firmware 1.4.0.85

No Events found!