Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 15th, 2014 11:00

Upgrading HDs on T310...

I've got a T310, running SBS 2008 currently with 4 HDs, 2 160s mirrored (20GB free) & 2 250s mirrored (30GB free). I'm planning on replacing the 160s with 500s & the 250s with 1TB drives. I've got good backups & since I'm not in a disaster recovery type situation, what would be the best way to do this? I'm assuming I've got to do one array at a time, or do I, since I'm basically restoring everything to the same locations, just to larger drives. I'm using Seagate 1.5 TB expansion drives as my backups & a full backup takes about 4 hours, so any idea of how long the restore should take? Not in a rush, just trying to prepare users for down time.

Any advice appreciated!

• 

8.4K Posts

September 15th, 2014 14:00

Mikey59,

The only supported way to expand the array is backing up, creating a new array with larger drives, and then restoring.  If you were to upgrade the drives by rebuilding, then the issue you may see is the array size stays the same and the "extra" space is not added to the array or partition. You would need to create a new Virtual Disk with that new space, which may or may not survive a hard drive failure.

So if you are just deleting and recreating the Virtual Disks, installing the OS and then restoring the data. You will be fine. Now for a guesstimate for the time it will take, which due to the amount of variables I can't be specific. I would say the VD deletion and creation would be about 10 minutes, 40 minutes for OS install, and then roughly about  an hour for the restore. So about a total of 2 hours. Now due to the variables I would give an extra hour to be safe. That's just a rough estimate. 

Let me know how it goes.

1 Rookie

• 

76 Posts

September 17th, 2014 11:00

I didn't think re-installing OS would be part of the process, since I have everything backed up.

Just wanted to create new arrays & restore from backup to them. Will that not utilize all the disk space on new drives? I do have a utility called Partitions that I've extended HDs on servers before, if not.

1 Rookie

• 

76 Posts

September 23rd, 2014 07:00

All went well, replaced drives, created new arrays, booted from SBS media & restored from latest backup.

Only downside was that it took about 5 hours!

No Events found!