Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 17th, 2020 22:00

VRTX 10Gb Mezzanine card

Hi,

I have gotten myself a VRTX with Broadcom 10GbE installed in all blades - but my VRTX only comes with a 1Gb switch module.

Why does Dell even sell these configurations?

Is there a point to having 10Gb in the blades but only a 1Gb switch?

Are the blades capable of communicating with each other with 10Gb speed?

Another reason I am asking is that reburbished 10Gb switch modules for the VRTX are as abundant as unicorns, and the 10Gb cards for the blades are extremely common, so the ratio for switches to blades seem off, so either Dell is selling weird configurations because either they or their customers are silly, or there is a use to having a 10Gb card installed in a blade.

Anyone who can shed a light?

Thanks

• 

8.5K Posts

May 18th, 2020 09:00

All communication is through the switch.

• 

790 Posts

May 18th, 2020 04:00

Hi Bjorn,

maybe the 10Gb switch wasn't available at point of sale. What I know is, that the 10Gb switch was introduced later, so maybe the VRTX was purchased before the release of the 10Gb switch.

If you're lucky and find a refurbished one, go for it. But as you already mentioned, they are rare.

My idea behind this is, that the VRTX is just a niche product and the 10Gb switch wasn't available from start, so there are not that much around.

The only thing I can give you is the part number YT9Y2 and cross my fingers for you to find one.

Cheers
Stefan

May 18th, 2020 05:00

Ok,

So you are saying Dell launched the VRTX with 10Gb network cards available, but no 10Gb switch?

And without the 10Gb switch I might as well downgrade to 1Gb cards, since the blades will not communicate with each other faster then 1Gb?

I know there is a 1Gb network passthrough module - do you know if a 10Gb version exists?

Regards 

Bjørn

• 

790 Posts

May 18th, 2020 06:00

Hey Bjørn,

yes, that's right, when the VRTX was released there was no 10Gb switch, just the 1Gb one.

Later on, we released the 10Gb switch.

Right now there is just the 1Gb pass-through module available, with no information if a 10Gb will be released someday.

That is all I can tell you about it.

Cheers
Stefan

May 18th, 2020 07:00

Ok,

So can you confirm that when the blades communicate it goes through the switch?

Meaning my blades with 10Gb network cards will only ever connect with 1Gbs to each other?

Or is the switch only used for "outside" communication?

Thanks

August 26th, 2020 08:00

Would a Qlogic 2692 Dual Port 16Gb Fibre Channel HBA card be excluded from going through the Mezzanine network switch ? Could I interconnect three VRTX Chassis each with a Fiber Channel HBA card to allow them to create a ISCSI host on each chassis using their builtin 25 drive bays connected to their dual PERC 8 controllers ? Thereby bypassing the 1GB mezzanine limit on fiber or Copper Ethernet cards, which do connect through the mezzanine, and limits their speed ?

• 

3.3K Posts

August 26th, 2020 10:00

Hello Marinus,

This should be able to help - VRTX Mapping PCIe expansion slots that can show you:
https://dell.to/2EA29QX

• 

3.3K Posts

Hello Marinus,

HBA traffic goes through IOM/Switch to reach your SAN.
Shared PERC8 goes through storage bus internally.

Dell Shared PowerEdge RAID Controller 8 Cards For Dell PowerEdge VRTX Systems
https://dell.to/3ljPRgs

Please let me know if this helps.

Can the Qlogic 2692 Dual Port 16Gb Fibre Channel HBA card be used to make the Dell VRTX Chassis a a ISCSI Appliance , is what I am asking basically. Then I need to know if the Fibre Channel card is also directed through the 1 GB Mezzanine Ethernet Fabric or does it go directly through the server midplane ? Which begs the question, can a M640 running VMWare ESXI be used as an initiator, if this is even possible, and would that why it has to use the LOM  ?

1 Message

February 9th, 2024 17:33

I too am now looking to implement a !0Gbe switch or a 10Gbe NIC in my Dell VRTX chassis.  Can a Dell moderator now advise it there is an applicable part number?  Thank you in advance!

-Rob

• 

8.4K Posts

February 9th, 2024 17:47

Robbykoe,

As far as the mezzanine, I believe you would need part number CDMG5. With the NIC, do you have any other specs you are looking for, such as type, dual port/quad port, etc?

Let me know.

No Events found!