Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 12th, 2013 07:00

What kind of graphics card can I put in Poweredge T110 II?

Server has following slots:

4 PCIe G2 slots:
Two x8 slots (one with x16 connectors)
One x4 slot (with x8 connector)
One x1 slot

Graphics card needs to support Windows server 2012 (are Windows 8 drivers compatible with Windows Server 2012?). I am not looking for anything fancy or fast, just something that can support 2 monitors via DVI or DisplayPort.

I looked at NewEgg graphics card section and find it difficult to understand what kind of interface I should pick. This is what NewEgg has for interface (I don't see any x8 or x4 as mentioned in Poweredge T110 II specs):

PCI Express 3.0 x16
PCI Express 2.1 x16
PCI Express 2.0 x16
PCI Express x16
PCI Express x1
PCI Express 2.0
PCI Express 2.1
PCI Express 3.0

990 Posts

June 12th, 2013 10:00

I would try any of the cards with x8 at the end, even though it says one slot has x16 capability, but only has  x8 power.  The card can only be up to 25w.  

Regards,

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

June 12th, 2013 11:00

No, limitation is due to maximum power provided through PCIe slot.  Upgrading the power supply will only help if you get one with a power cable dedicated to power the graphics card.

5 Posts

July 14th, 2015 17:00

I can confirm that the VisionTek 5450 works fine in a Dell T110 II running Windows Server 2012 R2.

Starting with computer power off.

Connect a display to the on-board video adapter analog port.

Install the 5450.

Power up.

A Microsoft driver is automatically installed on a cold start after installation of the 5450. You then need to do a restart, press F2, and set the BIOS video option to distributed.

Power off

Connect the display to the 5450 analog port.

Power up.

Install the AMD Catalyst software.

Power off.

Connect the display to the analog, DVI or HDMI ports on the 5450.

Power up.

The 5450 should now be using the Catalyst driver and utilities.

990 Posts

June 12th, 2013 09:00

Its a trial by error when adding video cards to this server. You will most likely need one that will fit the x16 slot, less than 25w.   Disable the onboard video in the F2 bios and the card should work for you.  

Regards,

54 Posts

So what options from NewEgg's list are compatible? Anything with x16 at the end?

How is x8 with x16 connector (which is what T110 II has) different from regular x16 slot?

54 Posts

Is 25w limitation due to power supply? What if I upgrade power supply?

14 Posts

January 1st, 2014 07:00

I am running a xfx 7750 in mine and it runs like a dream. I have been litecoin mining at 100% for a week with no problems.

548 Posts

January 1st, 2014 23:00

How is x8 with x16 connector (which is what T110 II has) different from regular x16 slot?

It's easiest to consider that a PCIe slot has a logical and physical component. The logical component is the number of (data) lanes available while the physical component is the actual connector used on the motherboard. So, when one mentions x8/x16 as in your example, this mean we have 8 data lanes available in a x16 PCIe connector (slot).

What this means is that you can insert a x16 PCIe card into the slot but the system can only provide x8 data lanes for it's use (half of what such a card should ideally have). It also means that you can install a x1 CPIe card into a x16 slot and it will only use x1 data lanes out of the x8 available (in this example).

To further compound the situation, all PCIe slots are not the same as there are two classes, "normal" slots and "graphics" slots. The difference is that a normal slot can only provide 25W of power from the PCIe slot while a graphics slot can provide 75W of power from such a slot. The fact that a connector is x16 does not in itself indicate that this slot is a "graphics" slot which can provide 75W of power... You must check the manual to find out...

It gets even trickier as PCIe has the ability to reconfigure the number of lanes available in the slots at boot time. That's how one can have x16 lanes available in a graphics slot when only one graphics card is used but this drops to x8 lanes when two graphics cards are installed as is the case in some desktop systems that share lanes in crossfire/sli configurations...

Cheers.

1 Message

March 3rd, 2014 06:00

Hello everyone,

I'm very interested in this thread. I've just installed an ATI x300 in the pci-e x16 slot of my PowerEdge T110 II. Now, I'm no longer able to get into the bios (pressing F2 at startup causes the machine reboot) but I have no problem during the execution of operating system (Windows 7 x64). Can the power limit be the reason of this problem?

Thanks in advance,
Max

7 Posts

August 20th, 2014 08:00

Hi, PCI Express x16 cards, I have used Nvida Quadro 2000d in our older t110, but they do now work in our new t110 11. I have had luck with VisionTec ATI cards, the one I using now is 4350 512.

September 16th, 2014 08:00

We have the same issue, we have several T110 II running BIOS 2.6.1. with 16 GB (4x4GB DIMMS) and have struggled to find a decent card that runs under the 25W limit. We have tried many different low power cards that have been put forward on various forums, most of which failed. We have not tried to change the DIMM configurations or downgrade the BIOS as has been suggested by some, so the findings below only apply on the test rig as described above. Here are our findings -

Failed Cards Include

Geforce GT 640    NVS 315     RADEON R7 240

Successful Cards Include

Geforce GT 630 (384 cuda cores version)

Radeon 5450

I would recommend the GT 630 (HDMi, VGA and DVI), it's quicker than the 5450 and runs on Windows 2012, using the windows 8 drivers from NVidia (340.52). Exact model we use is ASUS GEFORCE GT 630 (GK208, 64bit), which you can pick up for under £40 ex VAT. Note that, although this is a standard PCIe card and will fit into slot one, you should install it in slot 2 (x16 slot) as the GPU heatsink will interfere with the CPU shroud if it is installed in slot 1.

Hope this helps

29 Posts

January 25th, 2015 03:00

Encountered this issue, one that worked is a DELL VT 5450 2GB DDR3 PCI EXPRESS GRAPHICS CARD

Here is link to more info:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/servers/f/956/t/19615654

March 8th, 2015 22:00

I can confirm having an Asus ATI HD 5450 Silent working on PowerEdge T110 II server. Recently purchased this for around $40 on Amazon, installed, and now pushing out much better video than the on-board Matrox.

5 Posts

March 17th, 2016 16:00

Hello World,

I got hold of what I thought was a 5450 but in fact it's full description was an "ASUS AMD Radeon HD 5450 1GB". Which wouldn't let me even POST when connected to the mobo. I was so excited too! I can only guess this is because its an ASUS and not the VisionTek that other users are having such good fortune with. I also used my old gaming rig's 600w PSU incase the T1102's 350w (I think) wasn't enough - no difference and a cut hand.

FWIW , I also have tried a Plugable USB 2 VGA adapter - but this failed because the server doesn't have any WDDM drivers on it for the graphics. I've installed Win10 on this (for vid editing with dual quads and it is a BEAST!) and would love two screens to make my life so much easier.

I'm concerned about other threads remarking that the option to disable the onboard card isn't available. I'm on latest BIOS which the onboard is set to "Standard" and cant be changed - because there isn't a secondary card I suspect.

I'm now looking into GT630s but again because any developer can have a go and release their version there are several variants on a theme #firstworldproblems.

19 Posts

July 6th, 2016 08:00

Hello...

I'm completely on the same situation but I tried many tricks on four different cards without any success (here is the thread I opened)...

I'm still confused about why this is not working...

I'm still trying to solve this situation..

No Events found!