Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 22nd, 2015 20:00

What model of perc 3 do I have, and informations about clear BIOS/configuration/nvram

Hello pals. Perc3 is beating me.

As I could see here

I have a perc 3 DC card.

Pictures attached

Here, I've seen about

For the perc controller, pull the Raid Key and DIMM and leave out tof the server for 5-10 minutes. Put the components back in, reboot and go into the bios of the Perc controller (Cntrl-"A"). Accept the configuration changes and the controller should take the configuration off the drives.

For the system NVRAM: Note the settings in the bios. Shut the server down, set the ISA_CLR jumper, restart the server and you should get a message that the jumper is set or that there is a configuration issue. Shut the server down, remove the jumper and restart. Go into the system setup (F2), reset any settings and reboot.

DIMM, ok, but "raid key", what is it?

I'm trying control with perc 3 a 6-bay SCA822 (LSI) with 4 10k SCSI Maxtor hd (73,4G) and 2 10K SCSI seagate with 36Gb (raid 5 4//2) to use with linux

The mobo is a desktop one, asrock extreme 3.

I used a LSI21320R, but after a non succesfull BIOS update, I bricked it, and choose perc3 to do the work, but... it don't detects nothing, and hangs during boot, and I mind that "zeroing all" will be enough (I wish)

1 Attachment

10 Posts

What means that without raid key I'm unable create a RAID array? Even soft raid?

And, it's really a perc3 DC?

Thanks by answer @THEFLASH1932

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

The RAID key enables RAID built into the motherboard. If you are not using a Dell server, you can't use a RAID key.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

April 22nd, 2015 21:00

I'm still not sure what exactly the issue is. You should never have to "zero" out drives to use on RAID controllers, nor do I think it will help. Clearing the NVRAM should clear all the existing settings - you will then need to re-create your RAID array. Don't forget to Initialize the LD after you create it.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

What means that without raid key I'm unable create a RAID array? Even soft raid?

No, that's not what it means. YOU said you were using some desktop motherboard (not a Dell server); I said the RAID key enables RAID when it is built into the [Dell server] motherboard (ROMB = RAID On MotherBoard). Because you do not have a Dell ROMB-equipped server, you don't need a key. Also, the 3/DC is NOT a ROMB controller - it is a standalone, add-in RAID controller and does not require a key.

And, it's really a perc3 DC?

I don't know. YOU said it was.

10 Posts

I don't know. YOU said it was.

I think it's, cause it's the closest model I have and I've seen on manual.

Also, the 3/DC is NOT a ROMB controller - it is a standalone, add-in RAID controller and does not require a key.

Ok, thanks by elucidation.

So, if it's a standalone, and at first could control a bay (I think LSI one too) I can only try "zeroing" all. It's just take off DIMM and put J10 to clear NVRAM?

10 Posts

April 23rd, 2015 20:00

Hello pals... some news, well not so good as working, but.

There's a jumper that  isn't explained on manual. I put a jumper on it. Not "detecting device" during post but no hangs.

J9 desactivates BIOS, oh yeah, but near this, there's another jumper that I don't know, and using it something changed.

Any of you know drivers do windows 7 - 64bits? I've not find on dell's site. I'll try make 'pci memory controler" from this card work at windows 7-64bit

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

April 23rd, 2015 20:00

The PERC 3/DC was designed for servers, and NO Dell servers have Windows 7 drivers - only drivers for Server operating systems.

You probably won't get it working with Windows 7x64:

• Microsoft dropped native support for miniport/SCSI drivers in 2008R2/7.
  • Dell dropped support for non-PCIe-based controllers in 2008R2/7 (3/DC and 4/DC used PCI bus, 4e/DC used PCIe bus, drivers are often not inter-compatible).
  • LSI did not support past 2003/XP on that generation of controllers.
  • Systems supporting the PERC 3/xC or 4/xC did not support 64-bit processors.

Your best bet is to use 2008 drivers (based on Vista), and you may need to settle for a 32-bit OS.

10 Posts

April 23rd, 2015 21:00

Oh man..... that's bad... so bad [:'(]

On arch linux it were detected. I should only, now, try configure it by BIOS, or fakeraid. Let's continue the fight

No Events found!