Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

1 Rookie

• 

358 Posts

February 16th, 2016 07:00

Why would dhcp server on an FC430 blade hand out incorrect ip addresses unless IOA Te0/4 port has vlans stripped off?

I have an FC430 blade in an FX2, top right position (4th server) and its running Windows Server 2012 R2, AD, DNS, DHCP, NAP.

In the Qlogic #200 nic properties I have VLAN1 specified.  Its IP address is in VLAN 1, 10.1.1.1.

For whatever reason any other VLAN on the IOA uplink trunk to our core will result in the DHCP service on here issuing the wrong IP address.

For example VLAN 5 was on the trunk, and the DHCP server was issuing 10.1.3.x addresses.  Take VLAN 5 off the trunk and then the DHCP server would issue the correct 10.5.3.x address scope.  I don't understand why this is because in devmgmt.msc for the NIC we specifically set VLAN 1.

So I ended up using Putty to the CMC management and doing connect -b switch-1 and in enable mode conf t, int Te0/4 and issued the no tagged vlan command to remove all the vlans off that individual port.

Now the DHCP server works fine, so that is the solution, but I'm just curious as to why.

The trunk to core needs to have a few different vlans available to it, so server blades in other slots running VMWare ESXi can pick off different vlans for their own specific vSwitches (like voice, data, dmz, etc).

No Responses!
No Events found!