Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 7th, 2011 11:00

Will 2950 run without the PCI riser card?

Not that I particularly want to do it this way, but I have to juggle a couple of PCI-X riser cards from servers in geographically separate sites. Basically the bulk of our 2950s came with PCIe risers by default, but I have a couple of PCI-X SCSI cards for two tape drives that I am trying to migrate to a couple of our semi-retired 2950s. It will be impossible to swap them in one session without a very quick 310 mile roundtrip. The servers that do have the PCI-X risers don't need cards at all, so if there is no major issue I probably wouldn't even bother putting the PCIe risers back in.

Also, does anyone know if there are any jumpers or configuration I must do to change the riser?

TIA!

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

July 27th, 2014 15:00

"A" riser is required for POST ... the optional part is in which one you use - PCI-X or PCIe.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

The riser are required for the server to complete POST.  So, at a minimum, you'll need to swap them.

802 Posts

The Risers are needed for the server to POST properly.  Here is a list of the Minimum to POST requirements.

•System board

•Processor (with heatsink) in socket 1

•Two sticks of memory in memory slots 1 and 2

•1 power supply

•Control panel (to turn on system)

•Sideplane

•Both PCI risers; PCI-e in center slot, (PCI-e or PCI-X) in left slot

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Dell | Social Outreach Services - Enterprise

2 Posts

July 27th, 2014 15:00

The Dell™ PowerEdge™ 2950 Systems Hardware Owner's Manual, Jumpers and Connectors section, Expansion-Card Riser-Board Components and PCI Buses sub-section states:

Figure 6-7, Figure 6-8, and Figure 6-9 show the components on the optional PCI-X/PCIe expansion-card riser boards, including the expansion-card slots and buses.

and 

Figure 6-7. Optional PCIe Left Expansion-Card Riser Board Components

Figure 6-8. Optional PCI-X Left Expansion-Card Riser Board Components

Figure 6-9. Optional PCIe Expansion-Card Central Riser Board Components

If these are optional, they cannot be a requirement to POST. So is the Owner's Manual totally incorrect, or can the configuration be changed for when the riser is missing or replaced with an a x16 pci-e graphics or audio card?

If the manual is correct, there must be a way to do at least one of the above.

2 Posts

July 29th, 2014 05:00

Aha - so just a matter of the interpretation of the sentence.

Thanks

No Events found!