Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 24th, 2015 13:00

boot PowerEdge 2950 from USB drive

Greetings,

I have a PowerEdge 2950 running Windows Server standard 2008r2.  I want to wipe/reload this server.   I looked at the bios (entering setup) and also selected boot menu during boot.  I cannot see an option to boot from USB.

I have googled trying to find the solution, but the options used in the results do not match what I see in my BIOS.

My BIOS version is 2.5.0.

Would appreciate any tips on how to get this to work. 

thanks.

• 

8.5K Posts

February 24th, 2015 15:00

Hi,

Are you trying to boot from a USB optical drive, flash drive or hard drive? If you press F11 during post and bring up the boot menu it may show up under hard drives.

• 

8.5K Posts

February 25th, 2015 09:00

You can try changing hte usb emulation type in the bios, but it is possible that the USB device you are using doesn't work with this system.

19 Posts

February 25th, 2015 09:00

The problem is I see NO usb choices on boot menu.

thanks.

19 Posts

February 26th, 2015 05:00

Solved!

First, I had to ensure that the USB ports in the BIOS were enabled.

The next tricky bit was that I had to have my USB stick plugged in to the unit, THEN access the BIOS setup.  This then gave new entries in the BIOS which I could then set.  USB flash emulation was changed from AUTO to HARD DISK.  The Boot Hard drive sequence was then changed to my USB stick, then the PERC controller.  Boot Sequence was unchanged.

Now, here is the part that threw me.  When I booted the server, pressed F11 to enter the boot menu, USB or USB Hard drive did not show.  It showed IDE CDROM, Hard Drive C, etc.  It was only when I selected Hard Drive C that it popped up a sub menu which allowed me to choose the USB stick from a list.  I selected it and the server booted from my USB stick.

thanks for the help.

February 18th, 2018 14:00

Thanks for looping back and relating how you solved it!  Big help for me...

1 Message

March 18th, 2018 05:00

thanks 

4 Posts

January 28th, 2019 14:00

Super thanks for the tip.  One happy camper right here.  

Anyone else looking for some help let me post a few links for you:

1 Message

February 15th, 2020 09:00

No Events found!