Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

E

July 21st, 2017 09:00

dell The system detected an exception during the UEFI pre-boot environment: -->rip bootmgfw.efi

Hello. I have a PowerEdge R720 with 6GBs SAS HBA which connected to MD3200 SAS array. I have downgraded storage software and reboot my server.  After that he doesnt boot and UEFI exception appeared. 

"The system detected an exception during the EUFI pre-boot environment" and it seems to be pointing to an issue with bootmgfw.efi

Nothing was changed with HW/FW or BIOS settings before.

BIOS Version
Firmware Version
Operating System Windows Server 2012 R2

DNS Domain Name
Lifecycle Controller Firmware

Here is a screenshot

What causes this? How can i fix it? 

• 

6.2K Posts

July 21st, 2017 12:00

Hello

There are many possible reasons for this to occur. It could be caused by faulty or incompatible hardware, firmware, BIOS, or almost anything connected to the server.

I have downgraded storage software and reboot my server.

This is where I would start. Why did you downgrade the storage software? Is there another issue that you were troubleshooting? A faulty drive connected to a controller in the system is one of many possible issues that can cause this.

If you are unable to resolve the issue by disconnecting suspected problem devices then the basic troubleshooting steps of this type of issue would be:

• Take the system to minimum-to-POST
    • If that corrects the issue then update the BIOS and iDRAC/LCC to the latest if they are not already. Add devices back one at a time to locate the problem device.
  • Update BIOS and iDRAC/LCC
  • Drain flea power and clear NVRAM via jumper

Thanks

No Events found!