Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 11th, 2014 11:00

e1410 error only when raid configured

I recently acquired a poweredge 2950 with service tag (SVCTAG removed by admin) w/o an OS, and I'm working on setting it up.  The first thing I noticed was the E1211 Romb battery error.  I unplugged the cord to the battery and plugged it back in to see if that would fix it, but it did not. So, I figure I need to replace the battery. Then I booted from a Ubuntu Server install disc just to test it out.  I clicked through several steps of the install process and then canceled.  Then I set up two virtual discs in the RAID controller (a RAID 1 and a RAID 5) in order to have something to install ubuntu to.  Then when I boot from the install disc I can click through one part of the install process and then I get a blank screen and the LCD shows e1410 errors for both CPUs.  I then removed the RAID configuration that I had just created to see if that led to the e1410 errors.  After removing the RAID configuration I booted from the install disc and did not get the e1410 errors.  Do you think if I replace the battery the CPU errors will be resolved?  I also noticed one of the drives (6 of them) has a SMART status Error.

The RAID is PERC 5/i 5.0.2-0003 with firmware version 1.00.02-0157.  I haven't tried updating any firmware.  Any ideas what might be causing the e1410 CPU error?

• 

8.4K Posts

March 11th, 2014 11:00

OutToBrunch,

The issue you are having I am sure is due to the controller being so far out of date on the firmware. My first step would be to update the controller. If the error persists beyond that, since you have already reseated it, I would replace the battery.

Here is the update you will need - http://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER92869M/3/DELL_PERC-5-I-INTEGRATED_A09_R189337.exe

In regards to the E1410, there are a large variety of issues that can cause the error. I would look at the BIOS version and update if needed. Also you may want to reseat the raid controller as well.

Let me know how it goes.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

March 12th, 2014 09:00

SMTD 7.3 is the latest:
http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/driverdetails?driverid=CMY20

You can use SMTD to install firmware updates, but not by itself.  You boot to SMTD and choose Update Firmware, and then when prompted for a repository for the updates, you will need to provide the SUU (Server Updates Utility) DVD:

http://ftp.dell.com/FOLDER01988562M/1/SUU_740_Q42013_A00.ISO

(Note:  It is an extremely large download and will require a DL DVD to burn it to.  You should also be able to run it on a Windows system to create a smaller, more customized repository to be used with SMTD ... OR you can run the firmware updates directly from within Windows after mounting the ISO.)

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

March 12th, 2014 14:00

Use the direct link ... you'll need to copy/paste, as the forums don't like FTP links:
ftp://ftp.dell.com/secure/FOLDER01538030M/1/OM_SMTD_730_A00.iso

March 12th, 2014 07:00

Since I don't have an OS installed yet I figure I'll need to use the SMTD DVD to install firmware updates.  Is that true, and is this the most recent version?

https://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails?driverId=1WNJW

March 12th, 2014 14:00

I'm downloading the SUU image, but I haven't been able to download the SMTD image.  I click the link to download the file, enter the service tag, hit submit, and then the webpage keeps giving me this error:  Sorry, an error occurred while processing your request.

I've tried using different browsers (IE, firefox, chrome).  Maybe there is a problem on the webserver...?

Sorry, an error occurred while processing your request.

March 13th, 2014 16:00

Thanks for your help!  I was able to update all of the firmware using the SMTD and SUU discs except for the NIC firmware.  For some reason that firmware update fails.  In any case I was able to configure the RAID and then install an OS after updating the rest of the firmware.  Now the only error I get on the LCD screen is the E1211 battery error.  So, I'll replace that at some point in the near future.

April 11th, 2014 14:00

I finally got around to replacing the battery, but when I install the new battery and try booting it shows the same e1410 errors, and it does not boot into the os.  If i remove the battery it will boot to the os just fine.  Both the old and the new batteries are 3.7 volts and 7WH, but they do have different part numbers.  The type of the old battery is PERC5I and the new is FR463.  The old one has a upc code with a number that starts with JP-0U8735, and the new battery has a qr code with a number that starts with KR-0NU209.  Do you think these batteries are not compatible and that is what is causing the E1410 errors?

No Events found!