Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 19th, 2018 19:00

help with perc 6/i, crashed disk, rebuilding raid 1 poweredge r610

Hi,

I need some assistance on a PowerEdge R610. I came in this morning to a black screen. On the bottom of the screen it read, "all of the disks from your previous configuration are gone". I could hear a faint grinding noise from disk 0, but no amber lights anywhere. I shut the server down, pulled out disk 0, and turned it back on but I still have the black screen. (hope you can see the images below, note this is after I pulled disk 0)

I went into the perc 6/i integrated BIOS screen and in VD management I see, "No Configuration Present !". PD Mgmt screen shows disk 1 as foreign.

1. I want to see if I can boot to disk 1. How would I do this?

2. This is on a hyper v 2012 core server. With an extra disk coming in, what is the procedure to rebuild using the integrated BIOS screen? (Let me know if OpenManage would run on a core server, I'm willing to try even though it's part of a cluster).

I want to make sure that the correct disk is rebuilt in the raid.  Thanks!!!

black

bios1

bios2

18 Posts

January 23rd, 2018 13:00

I got it to work. In case anyone gets into this situation, let me try remember and write down what I did. Important!!! I would get professional help if you're working with a critical server!! 

note that after a few tries getting the server back online, the bad disk started to blink amber and the main display on the server was also amber.

I did these steps below with the disks removed.

Discard Preserved Cache

1. Enter the CTRL-R controller BIOS.
  2. Highlight Controller 0.
  3. Press F2.
  4. Highlight Managed Preserved Cache.
  5. Select DISCARD.

After the steps above I could not see the import menu anymore with the disk installed. This is what I did to get that option back, note these steps I did must have put lots of stress on the disks! 

1. while the sever is turned off. I got my replacement disk and physically stuck both the old working disk and the new disk in the server

2. turn on the server and ctrl-r to get to the controller bios. via the menu, recreate the raid1 virtual disk (do not initialize!!!)

3. physically remove both disks and clear the current raid 1 configuration via the menu

4. physically added the 1 old disk with the data that I wanted to recover. After this, I could see the import menu

5. imported from the old disk

6. boot up and it worked!

I probably could have eliminated many steps above. It's just a matter of making the controller think there's foreign disks in the server.

Next step was to rebuild the raid. I followed How To repair a working RAID 1 array on Dell T610 PERC6i

Thanks!

18 Posts

January 21st, 2018 12:00

Is it a perc 6/i problem being that there are no amber lights for the disks? I only get an amber light on the main display when I keep one disk removed.

I'm ready to damage the array so I decided to try a couple of things. I tried to do an import on the noisy disk. I got an, "ERROR! Foreign Config Import 1 out of 1 failed to import! Error code : Unknown". This is on the "VD Mgmt" tab. I got Error code 0x54 on I think the Foreign tab. I found the link below and am guessing that the error is caused by the missing disk.

Unable to Import or Clear Foreign Configuration on a PERC 6 Controller

Not sure if I should stick both disks back in and try an import at this time. I'll try that if I don't get any response later today or tomorrow.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

No Events found!