Re: R730 cannot download frimware updates via LifeCycle (LCC

Do not choose network share when using downloads.dell.com. Here are the options you should be selecting:

Step 1 of 3: Select Update Repository
-FTP Server
--When I am referring to HTTP or HTTPS as an option I am referring to systems where you select HTTP or HTTPS. The local share option on this page that mentions HTTP is not intended for connecting to our online catalog.

Step 2 of 3: Enter Access Details
-Address: downloads.dell.com
--Nothing else should be filled out unless it is required for your network.

At this point you should test the network connection. Your DNS should be able to resolve the domain name.

Step 3 of 3: Select Updates
-Select the updates you want to install and click apply

After clicking apply the updates will be downloaded and installed. An automated task application window should show task progress.

I just tested this process with an iDRAC7 to verify the procedure. If you continue to experience issues with these settings and would like further assistance from me then send a private message with the service tag. Further support will be based on system entitlement. You can also continue to request assistance from the community.

Thanks

Daniel Mysinger
Dell EMC, Enterprise Engineer

Get support on Twitter @DellCaresPRO

0 Kudos
dyokley
1 Nickel

Yep, exactly what I do.  I've always used the FTP but have tried it and HTTP in this case.  FTP goes fine until the end of step 3.  As soon as I hit apply I'm instantly met with the "Unable to install the update packages (SUP0531)" message.  No further explanation and retrying is fruitless.

I'll try it again using HTTP (downloads.dell.com) and post here with the message I get.  I can't remember what it tells me but I don't get nearly as far as I do with FTP.  I've found numerous people that have been having the same problem over the last month or so, just never find a solution.

I have no more entitlement so you aren't going to bother.

Curious, this works in every instance for you, are you doing it internally?

guru777
1 Nickel

Same thing here. downloads.dell.com has never worked for me ever. Using both ftp method or Share/HTTP method.

my team was told on 3/28/2019 by Dell that they are aware of the issue on their side.

0 Kudos

I am still looking into this. I was hoping to have enough information to provide an answer by this time, but this is still being discussed. I don't want to set any false expectations, so I am waiting until some things are clarified before providing more information.

There does appear to be a change to our online catalog that may prevent iDRAC 7/8 from performing updates using our online catalog. I will provide more information when I can.

Daniel Mysinger

0 Kudos
guru777
1 Nickel

Thank you for acknowledging the problem and commenting about it. This has been a very frustrating experience that has wasted a lot of time on our team. We used the ISO method and a few manual updates to upgrade our VMware cluster over the last couple weeks.

I am also having a separate, but possibly related issue with the OMIVV (OpenManage Integration for VMware vCenter). It cannot download firmware from the repository either.

0 Kudos

It may be related, I will try to get enough information to comment on other products that use our online catalogs.

Daniel Mysinger

dyokley
1 Nickel

Sure hope this isn't leading up to abandonment of iDRAC 7/8 users like what happened to iDRAC 6.....  Curious of why it worked on all your multiple tests though, unless you never actually executed the updates.  My gets the catalog and offers me the updates I need, it just craps out when I try to actually do the install.

At this time the iDRAC/LCC 7/8 are unable to use our online catalog to perform updates due to HTTPS being the only method. Dell EMC Repository Manager can be used to create local repositories.

We are in the process of pushing out firmware updates for the iDRAC/LCC 7 and 8 to allow them to use the online catalog. The firmware update is high priority, so it will will be released out of schedule. It may be released by the end of this month if all goes well, delays are possible though.

I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused due to the lack of communication on this change.

Thanks

Daniel Mysinger

dyokley
1 Nickel

Awesome, thanks for a real answer, I thought I was losing my mind.  I'd be happy to field beta test it, I have 3 7G servers in my home lab

guru777
1 Nickel

Daniel, Thank you very much for the post explaining (and confirming) the issue. That is great to have information about the issue. I am curious how this could have happened without more announcements and without more people knowing about the outage. Did you know this might happen?
0 Kudos