Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 9th, 2013 21:00

iDRAC 7 Not respond

Dear All, Please advise solution to fix the problem (SW0700: iDRAC is not ready. The configuration values cannot be accessed.) on Dell PowerEdge R720 Server.

• 

8.5K Posts

May 10th, 2013 08:00

Hi Kimleng Vey,

The error that you are receiving  “the iDRAC is not ready. The configuration values cannot be accessed” is a communication error with the iDRAC. Try to reset the iDRAC and see if it becomes responsive. On the R720 the easiest way to do this is to hold down the i button on the front of the server for more than 15 seconds, this will do a soft reboot of the iDRAC. If the iDRAC is still not responsive after you do this please power off the server and unplug it for about a minute, while it is unplugged hold the power button in for 10 seconds, this will drain any power from the system so that the iDRAC powers off fully. Once this is done reconnect power to the system and see if the iDRAC is accessible.

Was the iDRAC working previously?

3 Posts

February 4th, 2014 22:00

OK solution was to replace motherboard. Then install temp license to Drac (using Dell Local License Install Tool) and then call Dell to get key to install proper license to Drac within 30 days via Drac web interface..

I cant believe I had to replace a motherboard in a server I just pulled from the box, I dont like that......

May 10th, 2013 21:00

Hi Josh Craig

After i'm following your step still found the same problem and then i button in front of server have blue color and i button on back of server blink yellow color and the small screen in font of server blank blue color.

3 Posts

January 31st, 2014 19:00

Im having this same issue, was there ever a solution to this? idraq just doeasnt seem to want to initialise.

35 Posts

July 31st, 2014 15:00

I'm having the same problem on a 1 year old R720 that hasn't been updated yet and is still running the original shipped Firmware version. Tried the iDRAC reset with the blue i Button, but that doesn't help. Tried draining Flea Power and taking out all unnecessary components (all HDDs, DVD, PERC Ctrl, INTEL PCI-e NIC and the SAS Backplane) and cables. Doesn't help. This iDRAC7 is bricked :(

Note: After 1 auto-reboot it allows me to access the F2 System Setup settings. When selecting iDRAC settings it will actually show you the error:

SW0700: iDRAC is not ready. The configuration values cannot be accessed.

I found this article on the SWC0700 error code. I can confirm that the iDRAC7 FW is v1.30.30.27

Any other idea besides claiming warranty replacement?

3 Posts

July 31st, 2014 18:00

Sounds like another bricked R720 iDRRAC, and unfortunately its on the motherboard, it not a seperate module. I suspect its time for you to call Dell and get warranty repair.

I have heard from a couple Dell techs that they have replaced quite a few motherboards lately with faulty iDRACs.

35 Posts

August 11th, 2014 06:00

Called DELL support, explained the issue, pointed to this thread and the DELL article I found about the SWC0700 error and they send a technician and replaced the mainboard the next day.

March 25th, 2017 12:00

What do you do when out of warranty?? Almost seems like a latent defect. I have a T620 with the exact same problem. Dell's answer was to extent the warranty or buy new.  I have tried all suggestions from trying to upload the patches to draining the power supply and trying a reboot. Still have the initialization error for the idrac and yes swc 0700.

Because this server was in a small office, I had to pull out of service and replace the new server.  

35 Posts

March 27th, 2017 06:00

It's bricked. The only way I know of is to replace the mainboard. Not sure which country you are in but https://www.serversupply.com/products/part_search/query_parts.asp?q=t620 has everything you need.

November 1st, 2017 06:00

Sorry, not an answer to your question here, but just wanted to say this just happened to one of my client's T620 the other day, as well. I could actually live with the failed iDRAC, but the fans now run only at full speed, and they are loud.

November 1st, 2017 14:00

I have tried all the above step with no luck. I believe the idrac is just dead on the board.  Is there anyone out there that can repair the board or steps to do so.  It is just a personnel lab machine now and I do not want to spend $800 to get it under maintenance. 

1 Message

November 1st, 2017 14:00

Good afternoon, I told you that this procedure worked to remove the power cord and I pressed the power button. I am very happy with this procedure. Thank you very much...!!!

1 Message

December 14th, 2017 10:00

I have this at a client's server today as well.  Did you ever fix it?  the server still runs, but the fans are super loud.  

January 27th, 2018 12:00

I had to the do the same thing. Dell's response was the same. Mine was a T620. I had to pull mine too and replaced it with an HP. It is ashame that we have to go through this especially what appears to be a latent defect. It seems to be all over the web.

January 27th, 2018 12:00

Thank you for the resource. Unfortunately, because I was forced to remove the Dell T620 from sercvice it has become a lab machine and to put nearly $900 into that is probably a waste at this time and money. Thanks for the respinse though. I was hoping that someone had an idea to jumper the bad component in enable some type of hard reset of something. I am also like so many others that I am discourageds with Dell because of this. I am getting ready for an infrastructure upgrade at work and as far as I am concerned, Dell is not on the list to be considered. Thanks again! 

No Events found!