PowerEdge Hardware General

Last reply by 06-01-2022 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

iDrac 7 PowerEdge R720 license information help

Greetings. I have PowerEdge R720 с iDrac

But there are no signs of life, the indicator is off, it is impossible to connect through the web interface

First question, if the license for idrac is missing, should the LED indicate this?

it should burn in color or go out

The second question is how to check the installed license for iDrac, because the license was not installed by the service code when buying, iDrac value is 0

528-10002 : iDRAC7 Express

Part Number

KMCM0

Description

INFO,IDRAC7 EXPRESS

Quantity

The third question is whether this is due to the broken BMC and IPMI, they are both disabled and there are errors on them. LifeCycle Controller is also disabled in POST and unable to update firmware, not system collecting Inventory and BIOS configuration save errors

20220523_030624.jpg

Replies (22)

Lorenso-Denis,

I am inclined to agree with Joey here, it may be an issue with the iDrac itself, but am still curious as to the cause.

Did you confirm if any changes, either hardware or updates, were performed right before this issue started?

I ask because if you jump too many updates, or if you get the idrac too far from the BIOS, it can cause issues like this.

Let us know.

Chris Hawk
Social Media and Communities Professional
Dell Technologies | Enterprise Support Services
#Iwork4Dell

Did I answer your query? Please click on ‘Accept as Solution’
‘Kudo’ the posts you like!

I purchased a PowerEdge R720 2 weeks ago without ram & cpu. I installed 2x16gb ddr3 1600 Samsung into it in slots A1 & A2 cpu1, CPU Xeon 2670v2 & NVMe PCIe Samsung through an adapter to the PCIe slot, then installed the OS booting from Clover in usb. Bios was originally set to 2.9.0 and LCC & iDrac didn't work right away. I tried everything described in this community, as well as on the Internet, to determine what is happening with iDtac & LCC in order to make the server settings. Did a downgrade and BIOS upgrade. I don't understand how to change iDrac & LCC firmware yet. Do I understand correctly that LCC, IPMI & BCM are tied to iDrac? And if it fails, they won't work properly.

What other ways do I see to try to start or enable LCC that doesn't work?

Perhaps there are ways to flash firmware LCC &/or iDrac in Support Live image with CentOS by Dell in command line or with LCC recovery .usc file?

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

The problem is that I can't see the iDtac & LCC version. In the BIOS, it only shows the version of the iDrac settings. The settings version changes along with the BIOS, but this does not make the iDrac & LCC version available and visible.

Therefore, I have no way to compare Bios versions with iDrac & LCC versions, to bring into line (downgrade or upgrade)

The idrac is tied to each of them, and from this point I don't know what else you can do to recover it. What you may want to look at is returning or exchanging the server, as it seems like it has had an issue since purchase.

Chris Hawk
#Iwork4Dell

Did I answer your query? Please click on ‘Accept as Solution’
‘Kudo’ the posts you like!

20220526_070627.jpg

This data may give information about the required versions of iDrac & LCC or other useful information for recovery?

Hi @Lorenso-Denis,

The picture might not be a help to identify any information. 

I think this would be the last resort to try salvage; try the restore that you're looking for: https://dell.to/3MS7PUD

DELL-Joey C
#IWork4Dell

Did I answer your query? Please click on ‘Accept as Solution’. ‘Kudo’ the posts you like!

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I have 2 questions left:

1. Does the configuration info mean that I have iDrac installed out of market? and how to find out the installed version of iDrac?

2. How can I restore the factory state of the server in "2 clicks" out of the box, because I suppose the server was flashed with an alternative firmware for an illegal iDrac license, or the server is possible was hacked and loaded with a bios backdoor. The server was bought second-hand in the secondary market and there is no way to return it to the seller

P.S. When I insert the SD card in recovery firmimg.d7 in debug mode iDrac, the LED on the back panel starts flashing orange, but the SD card server does not accept "firming.d7 is bad".  I tried different versions, or rather everything that is from the Dell website

The situation is the same with all versions of firmimg.d7, the server starts reading them, unpacks them, but at some stage an error "84" occurs

I hope Dell will not leave me alone in this issue with a non-functional server in order to return it for use in the factory state as at the time of sale

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Screenshot_20220529-171629_Chrome.jpg

How accurate is this info? How do I know which version of DRAC I have installed? Base or Express?

Hi @Lorenso-Denis,

1. Since the iDRAC is not able to start, we are not able to find out what is the version of iDRAC is installed on the server. The next thing to follow is to check the order of the server that you have purchased from. 

2. No, there is no way of restoring factory default, there is no backup memory on the server that it can access to, to load default settings. If it has been flashed, it is permanent. 

Have you tried to use another SD card, formatted to FAT32. Could you capture the exact error message. Again, to identify the server's components, is to check the order of the server from the seller. 

DELL-Joey C
#IWork4Dell

Did I answer your query? Please click on ‘Accept as Solution’. ‘Kudo’ the posts you like!

firmimgrec.jpg

firmimgrec1.jpg

firmimgrec2.jpg

4GB SD card is the same

"firmimg.d7 might be bad"

Screenshot_20220530-151704_Chrome.jpg

 What does the tag service tell us which iDrac is installed?

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor