Highlighted
oyell
1 Copper

idrac Initializing, vrtx/m620

Hi,

After updating the vmware host files, I rebooted the M620 blade on my VRTX. It never came back online, and idrac nor the cmc did get any response from the M620. I then after reading some post did a resett by the cmc to do a idrac reset. Now it has hang on Initializing for almost 4 hours. I have just now taken a soft resett  by holding down the power for about 30 sec on the M620, moved position in the vrtx, and had the whole vrtx even turned off without power for 5 minuts, but nothing have helped.

Any other suggestions?

0 Kudos
3 Replies

RE: idrac Initializing, vrtx/m620

Hello

It sounds like the blade is not completing POST. Check to see if you can enter the system BIOS. If you can't enter the system BIOS then perform no POST troubleshooting. Remove all components that are not necessary for system POST to see if it will complete POST. If it still fails to POST then swap the remaining components if possible to narrow down the problem device.

If you updated firmware or BIOS prior to the restart then I would start with troubleshooting that hardware. If you connected a USB drive or anything else to the blade to perform updates then disconnect that hardware.

Thanks

Daniel Mysinger
Dell EMC, Enterprise Engineer

Get support on Twitter @DellCaresPRO

0 Kudos
oyell
1 Copper

Hi, noboy else in my Department have tried to fix this while I was away, so will try again 🙂

Thanks for Your reply Daniel, what I did before this happend was following :

- Upgraded the CMC on the vrtx to firmware 2.1

- Bios Upgrade on all 4 M620 to Version 2.5.2

- Idrac lifecycle 2.212.21.21

I did try a soft reset via the cmc ssh, but got Message idrac not ready. On the troubleshooting page on the CMC Interface, it says the IDRAC is initializing. The Power on the server is blinking, and I have tried to resettt it by holding Down the Power for 30 sec. I have also removed all Components not needed litt mezz1, mezzz2, perc, but it still not powering on.

I also tried to resett bios by moving jumper on motherboard.

0 Kudos

It sounds like the BIOS may not have updated correctly. The system can complete POST without the iDRAC. If it is not completing POST after updating the BIOS and iDRAC then I would suspect the system BIOS is the issue.

I would replace the system board.

Thanks

Daniel Mysinger
Dell EMC, Enterprise Engineer

Get support on Twitter @DellCaresPRO

0 Kudos