Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 26th, 2012 09:00

mother boards

I looked around, maybe not well enough, but I was told that that PE 2970s have different motherboards....some support the quad core, while others wont.... how do I tell which one I have? I have nothing installed on these systems so is there any way to tel by looking at them or booting them up and going into system settings??

If this is something that has been answered or something I can easily find then please post the link to where it is and I'm sorry I didnt see it before

Thanks,

-A

• 

8.4K Posts

April 26th, 2012 10:00

Aripheus and Flash,

There are different boards, but not because of the number of cores, but is due to different processor technology as well as the introduction of a sideplane on later releases.

To find the version installed currently you can follow this link and then click on the SYSTEM CONFIGURATION tab.

www.dell.com/.../Index

From there enter your Svc Tag, or if you are on the server you can click CURRENT CONFIGURATION. From the list provided you will find the motherboard. It is referenced as PLANER in the list.

Let me know if you can't find it. If you can't then I will email you for the svc tag (please do not provide on the public forum)

Thanks.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

We may need a Dell guy to chime in to confirm here, but I don't see ANY documentation of different revisions of the 2970 or its motherboards allowing quad-core processors.  One spec sheet lists support for quad-core processors WHEN THEY ARE AVAILABLE, another spec sheet lists support for SIX-core processors.  The BIOS release notes indicate quad-core support for various processor series being added, but no where does it mention different revisions of the system itself as qualifying for that support.

It is possible that whoever told you that they have different motherboard was actually thinking of the 2950, which is the same server as the 2970, but it is INTEL-based, and is MUCH more common.  That system had three system revisions - and three sets of aligning motherboards - each of which carried varying support for FSB, memory, and processors, while using the same chipset and BIOS code among the three revisions.  This information, while OFTEN overlooked, was well-documented in spec sheets and BIOS release notes.  

The lack of information for the 2970 that was available for the 2950's various revisions and limitations leads me to believe that all 2970 motherboards (there may be various  model numbers with the same functionality) will support quad-core (even hex-core) processors, but the latest BIOS would be absolutely required before performing the upgrade (as is usually recommended with any processor upgrade).

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

Thanks Chris ... do you have any specific information on the different releases and processor technologies that are supported ... for our personal and professional enlightenment :) ?

• 

8.4K Posts

April 26th, 2012 11:00

There are 2 boards that are specific to the new Istanbul Processors(H535T, F698T). Then the new motherboard (C8CXW) that includes the sideplane support as well is required for embedded ESX as well. Then you have the standard Microstar motherboards.

No Events found!