Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 13th, 2018 09:00

power edge 710 console through serial connection

HI,

I need to get to bios of our dell poweredge R710. How can I get it to console using serial connection? we don't have IDRAC setup initially or the guy who setup is no longer with company. Now there is a need of enabling the virtualization/VT-X at BIOS.

Someone please guide me on how can I connect to console using serial connection and get to BIOS?

Thanks in advance.

• 

6.2K Posts

April 20th, 2018 09:00

@shre patil wrote:

I meant to ask if any charged support can be provided to get IPMI setup so that we can get into server console remotely or/and enable 64-bit VT-X in bios?

No.

If you are unable to modify the BIOS via serial then I suggest you connect a monitor and keyboard.

• 

6.2K Posts

April 13th, 2018 13:00

Hello

Console redirection is not enabled by default. The serial communication options and default settings are covered in the R710 manual:

www.dell.com/support/home/product-support/product/poweredge-r710/

You can find iDRAC manuals on the iDRAC support page:

www.dell.com/support/home/product-support/product/integrated-dell-remote-access-cntrllr-6-for-monolithic-srvr-v1.95/

Thanks

32 Posts

April 16th, 2018 06:00

Thanks Daniel,

I found a manual with serial connection details on page #63. Could you please confirm the link and page 63. I should be able to hook up the serial cable from serial port to laptop with given baud settings and get to console right using below?

http://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_ser_stor_net/esuprt_poweredge/poweredge-r710_owner%27s%20manual_en-us.pdf

32 Posts

April 16th, 2018 09:00

Thanks Daniel,

Below cable should be good enough to work with it right?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Startech-1-Port-USB-to-Null-Modem-RS232-DB9-Serial-DCE-Adapter-Cable-with-FTDI/21097418

• 

6.2K Posts

April 16th, 2018 09:00

Yes, you should be able to connect to the system via serial using the listed default settings as long as the defaults have not been changed.

• 

6.2K Posts

April 16th, 2018 15:00

@shre patil wrote:

Below cable should be good enough to work with it right?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Startech-1-Port-USB-to-Null-Modem-RS232-DB9-Serial-DCE-Adapter-Cable-with-FTDI/21097418

I don't know. I have used a DB9 to serial adapter at home and I experienced issues. I remember installing a driver for the adapter that had a configuration application with it. I was able to get the OS and applications to detect the adapter as a serial device and assign it to a COM port. I still experienced a lot of issues using it with PowerConnect switches. I ended up using a normal serial cable because of all of the issues.

Thanks

32 Posts

April 17th, 2018 07:00

Thanks Dan,

Could you please suggest which normal serial cable you used? I mean where you connected the cable to server end? which port ? I can buy that as well to try if this doesn't work..

32 Posts

April 17th, 2018 07:00

Thanks Dan,

Could you please suggest which normal serial cable you used? I mean where you connected the cable to server end? which port ? I can buy that as well to try if this doesn't work..

• 

6.2K Posts

April 17th, 2018 09:00

The exact specifications of the cable are on page 101 of the iDRAC manual. I linked the iDRAC support page earlier, you can find the manual on that support page. Any normal DB9 null modem serial cable should work. Here is one available on our site:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?sku=A7011245

Thanks

32 Posts

April 17th, 2018 10:00

Thanks.. The links says sold out. Can you please check. Any other link for that one?

April 17th, 2018 12:00

You could also reset the iDRAC to default settings using RACADM commands so log as iDRAC tools are install on the servers or OpenManage Server Administrator is installed. Admin command prompt "RACADM RACRESETCFG" to restore the iDRAC to default settings so you can reconfigure the users. You can also use OpenManage Server administrator to reset the iDRAC user account passwords, under main system chassis, remote access.

32 Posts

April 19th, 2018 05:00

Hi Daniel,

I am going to try with the cable I bought. Just a question, in case if that didn't work, will Dell support can help us on that? If so, please let me know the steps/process and estimated charges?  I don't think that server is having any active dell support.

Thanks!

• 

6.2K Posts

April 19th, 2018 09:00

@shre patil wrote:

I am going to try with the cable I bought. Just a question, in case if that didn't work, will Dell support can help us on that?

No, there is no warranty or fee-based support that will cover an unsupported USB to serial adapter.

32 Posts

April 19th, 2018 10:00

I meant to ask if any charged support can be provided to get IPMI setup so that we can get into server console remotely or/and enable 64-bit VT-X in bios?

32 Posts

April 20th, 2018 05:00

Hey Dan, You there?

No Events found!