Highlighted
chrisl2366
1 Copper

poweredge 1850 wont post or no video

Jump to solution

i got a pe 1850 and it worked fine yesterday booting up normal and loading into windows ent. 03 then this morning i got no video the fans dont spin up real high at first like normal, no beep codes but i got the amber light flashing. the keyboard lights light up once at first then nothing. usb mouse has power. it has 2 costa rica xeons @ 800 mhz and duel psu's 1 gb of ram over 4 slots. i tried to reseat them as well. and even tried to powerup with no ram and i didnt even get the no ram beep code it has 2 147gb 15k rpm hdd's and i dont get any lights on them either. they to worked yesterday. . the beeps worked yesterday i remember. i reseated the raid ram too. i took out the battery for a couple min utes to no avail. i tried with only one psu too.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
theflash1932
5 Iridium

Re: poweredge 1850 wont post or no video

Jump to solution

First, try removing any expansion cards and reseat the entire expansion riser card.

Then, try removing the second processor, swapping it with the first processor if still no video.  (Make sure that the processor is unstuck from the heatsink before reseating the processor - use a credit card if it is stuck.)

20 Replies
theflash1932
5 Iridium

Jump to solution

First, try removing any expansion cards and reseat the entire expansion riser card.

Then, try removing the second processor, swapping it with the first processor if still no video.  (Make sure that the processor is unstuck from the heatsink before reseating the processor - use a credit card if it is stuck.)

chrisl2366
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thanks man that worked, I reseated both cpu's one by one and put new thermal paste of them then it posted. I still have the blinking amber lights but at least I got video. I'll post again with any questions. Thanks a million.

0 Kudos
Kiwi987
1 Copper

Jump to solution

The blinking amber lights could be the tamper switch. I have an 1850 which will not post and I have no video, keyboard etc. Still waiting for the thermal paste to arrive and have two spare processors. Nothing seems to work so far. : (

0 Kudos
chrisl2366
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I have Linux on it now. I had to disable the raid and just run the HDD's straight up. Do you have any knowledge on the raid card? I don't like no using the raid. But at least I got a OS on it now. Thanks

0 Kudos
Kiwi987
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Mine has Linux but trying to put on Win 2003 Standard until it messed up. Can't get into the bios at all or get any sense from the peripherals. What's happening with your RAID?

0 Kudos
chrisl2366
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I'm not sure about my raid card. So yours won't post? Any beep codes? Any symptoms? Maybe I can help from all my troubles.

0 Kudos
chrisl2366
1 Copper

Jump to solution

My raid just won't allow OS's to see the array. I have the drivers on a cd and a floppy just in case but it still won't see the array.

0 Kudos
theflash1932
5 Iridium

Jump to solution

Did you configure RAID in CTRL-M?  The PERC's do not support non-RAID, so it must be configured and initialized before any disks are presented to the OS, even with the correct drivers.

0 Kudos
chrisl2366
1 Copper

Jump to solution

See that's the thing, throughout the whole post I never had a control m option. I went in the bios but I'm not in front of it right now but I put it on the other option where it says raid. Linux only shows my 156gb HDD but I guess if its in mirror it would only show it that way. I'll post what I did after work today.

0 Kudos