MrShNobble
Not applicable

r320 memory upgrade

Jump to solution

Hi,

i'm planned to upgrade memory in my r320 server.

Now I have a 4x8GB RDIMM RAM Modules.

I want to add 2x16GB RDIMM modules to two free slots.

Modules with p/n 370-20147 are compatible?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DELL-Robert Odongo

RE: r320 memory upgrade

Jump to solution

Hello.

Yes, I looked up and these memory modules are compatible with R320 server.

Under the current memory configuration and populating the 2x 16GB memory modules to the remaining 2 slots may trigger memory errors during POST, prompting you to press F1/F2 key to continue; because the memory configuration is not optimal. Refer to the diagrammatic illustration below:

For optimal memory configuration, the memory modules on Channel 1, Channel 2 and Channel 3 have to be identical. Therefore, you will have the following configuration:

A1 &A2 = 16GB and A4 & A5 = 8GB. Alternatively, you buy one 16GB memory module to add to Channel 3 hence A1, A2 &A3 = 16GB and A4, A5 &A6 = 8GB with total memory capacity of 72GB. For more information see pages 40 - 41 of the Users' Guide: http://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/poweredge-r320_Owner's%20Manual_en-us.pdf 

Robert Alakara

Dell EMC | Enterprise Services

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DELL-Robert Odongo

Jump to solution

Hello.

Yes, I looked up and these memory modules are compatible with R320 server.

Under the current memory configuration and populating the 2x 16GB memory modules to the remaining 2 slots may trigger memory errors during POST, prompting you to press F1/F2 key to continue; because the memory configuration is not optimal. Refer to the diagrammatic illustration below:

For optimal memory configuration, the memory modules on Channel 1, Channel 2 and Channel 3 have to be identical. Therefore, you will have the following configuration:

A1 &A2 = 16GB and A4 & A5 = 8GB. Alternatively, you buy one 16GB memory module to add to Channel 3 hence A1, A2 &A3 = 16GB and A4, A5 &A6 = 8GB with total memory capacity of 72GB. For more information see pages 40 - 41 of the Users' Guide: http://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/poweredge-r320_Owner's%20Manual_en-us.pdf 

Robert Alakara

Dell EMC | Enterprise Services

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
MrShNobble
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Robert,

thank you very much.

0 Kudos